cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dancingbear
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Price Increase January 2018

I have just checked my monthly bill and noticed a price increase. I then typed into Google about BT price increases and low and behold there are a number of articles on the subject. Seemingly, i should have received an email about it but I can't find one. Why was I not sent a letter through the post and if I can't find an email surely this is not proof of receipt. I have contacted BT and they have confirmed an email was issued on the 1st December but there is nothing in my inbox or spam. Surely, my bill will now be my first confirmed notification? 

Does anyone know how this stands with BT and alternatively with Ofcom? 

Regards.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Price Increase January 2018

Did you check your btinternet.com email address - inbox and spam as that is normal place BT send this sort of emails

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dancingbear
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

I have just done as you suggested and there is nothing there. My BT email address is not the email address they said it was sent to but one of my 3rd party email addresses. Basically, the one I used when I initially registered my interest in BT. I have a few email address and they all sync to my phone's webmail client.

The thing is, email is not a guaranteed communication system. Unlike your letter box, where you may get 2 or 3 letters per day, at most, most folks get tens to hundreds of emails per day. From what I have read, most law firms state email will suffice if it is followed up by a hard copy. I'm very surprised BT haven't supplied a letter advising there has been a change to the pricing structure. I would expect any organisation that deals with payments to do likewise. 

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

I feel you are online billing then your advices come by email but normally to the btinternet address. You have as much chance of getting your email as a letter. Letter more chance of getting lost in Christmas post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dancingbear
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

So when the system fails we have to assume it is the customer's fault and not the organisation that has issued thousands of emails across multiple email platforms! I guarantee you I get more emails in 1 day than I got Christmas cards over the whole festive period!

Question - if you send a friend an email or text and they don't reply do you assume they got it or do you contact them again and say, "Hey, did you get my message"?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

@Dancingbear wrote:
So when the system fails we have to assume it is the customer's fault and not the organisation that has issued thousands of emails across multiple email platforms! I guarantee you I get more emails in 1 day than I got Christmas cards over the whole festive period!

Question - if you send a friend an email or text and they don't reply do you assume they got it or do you contact them again and say, "Hey, did you get my message"?

Like majority of people if I send an email or text with just information and no reply required then I would not chase up a reply as a reply was not expected

0 Ratings
Dancingbear
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

My understanding, from what I've read, the email was an 'offer' . There were offers in the email of other negotiable deals being made too. To be binding it has to be accepted. You could argue my silence was acceptance thus making a contract. However, that's assuming the parties involved got the email in the first place and this is where the contract breaks down. My monthly payment, at the very least, should not be increasing and neither should the length of my initial contract as I didn't agree to the price change as I never received the offer.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

At the end of your initial contract period you move to a monthly rolling contract and you lose all discounts you previously had your contract is not renewed unless you contact BT and negotiate a new contract
0 Ratings
Dancingbear
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

I don't know what you mean and how this refers to my situation. I am mid contract hit with a price increase that I didn't agree too as I never received the email advising thus, I haven't had the opportunity to either accept, renegotiate  - as supposedly offered in the email according to the BT call handler this morning or, invoke the 30 day Ofcom ruling to move to another provider.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

The T&C which you agreed to at outset of your current contract allows BT Retail to increase your monthly package deal but you must be given the chance to cancel your contract without cancellation fees and have 30 days from the date of notification. If you do not respond then the increase is automatically applied. If you check MYBT you can see if there were any personal offers made

0 Ratings