cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quinn1701
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 48

Re: Price Increase June 2019

I'm being mugged off on Twitter by BT now. They honestly don't seem to want to answer any questions fully.

As to my thoughts about it being all in one package deal, I'm happy to admit my recollection of the deal I was given may be wrong. Conversely, it's possible I'm right and that others may also have been advised incorrectly. The only way I'll now for sure is to get a copy of my call from about a year ago.

It's going to be even less value for money when they lose most of if not all the Scottish football rights from 2020 and as we don't really watch English football, I don't really want to pay for this new sponsorship deal that was announced recently.

Something will work itself out, always does. I just hope BT have a process in place for dealing with vulnerable customers in situations such as this.

0 Ratings
Stuart_B
Contributor
Message 22 of 48

I also got a letter about the price increase....£4 in my case. Im not a happy chappy.... I was hoping that the agreement that BT and SKY have re BT Sport would have come in to effect by now....it was supposed to be EARLY 2019 but Ive seen nothing about it....Anyone know anything.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3761870707.png
0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 48

@Stuart_Bwrote:

I also got a letter about the price increase....£4 in my case. Im not a happy chappy.... I was hoping that the agreement that BT and SKY have re BT Sport would have come in to effect by now....it was supposed to be EARLY 2019 but Ive seen nothing about it....Anyone know anything.

I think that they said "in time for the start of the 2019/20 Premier League Season" or something like that.

0 Ratings
joeokane111
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 48

Ended up just cancelling BT TV and Sport. Truth be told, wish I'd done it a long time ago. See out the broadband contract and say goodbye to BT. 

0 Ratings
dave909
Contributor
Message 25 of 48

What looks to be the case is that firstly some, including myself, signed up and were offered BT Sports free or at no extra cost which also included 4K.  Yet some pay extra for BT Sports.  Yet funny enough those who pay extra for BT sports look to be getting informed for the £4 increase for BT Sports and others (but by no mean everyone else) who get BT Sports free as part of their offer are told the £4 rise is for the entire £4 package.

So the £4 increase is solely to generate more income for the sports channels, yet those on a free or at no extra cost offer for the sports channels are still being charged the increase as well, but told the increase is for the whole, TV package!.

0 Ratings
jem16
Contributor
Message 26 of 48

After making an official complaint via Resolver, I was contacted by BT higher level team who did agree that FREE for 18 months should mean exactly that. As it had been cancelled it was a bit more difficult sorting it.

However finally agreed to recontract everything - ie BB/Anytime calls/BT Sport at £30.99pm. I'm happy with that as I'm now paying £3pm less than before and still keeping BT Sport.

Highlighted
smc78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 48

I had this at bottom of email 

However when I clicked through and put details in it came up saying they could not process it just now. This happen to anyone else?

@garybs29wrote:

If you look at the email/letter re the price increase of £4 does it not state something near the end like "You currently receive a discount. When your discount ends, you will pay the standard price" meaning the free period would continue & you'd be charged the extra once the free period ends

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 28 of 48

Got mine as well and much miffed. Only to be told that I can re sign up to an 18 month contract to avoid the increase (three months after signing into one). This stinks. Cost benefit means the extra £4 is cheaper than the extra three months I would pay.

0 Ratings
dave909
Contributor
Message 29 of 48

I think eventually BT will be pulled up by the relevant bodies over how they are circumnavigating the right to leave everything by placing the entire price rise onto just the TV package citing that its not a breach of the core contract as the TV is an additional service covered by a separated contract.

Let's look at the figures, last years price rise was £4.50 spread between all services, which as usual triggers the right to walk away penalty free.  Yet this year its £4 but only on the TV package.  Which funny enough is not a proportionate rise as if you only have BT Sports  your told the rise is solely for that.  But if you have TV Max (HD\4K)  your told the rise is for the entire TV package, funny that eh?.  Of cause that could be because some seem to have BT Sports for free or at no extra cost!.

Then we hear that contracts from 2020 will be liable for the same annual price rises on the landline & broadband that  mobiles have and will be be within the threshold that is not a breach of contract so your unlikely to ever be able to leave penalty free from your line rental & broadband in the future.  I'm guessing this rise will be what, maybe £0.50 ish and with the disproportionate TV price rise this year will make the total annual rise similar the last years £4.50. 

Added to that if you are offered a deal on your TV package, then by renewing for another 18 months means your going to be out of sync  with your phone line & broadband.  If you then wanted to pair things up term wise, are BT likely to offer you a deal for both?, would it even be a good deal to refresh that to seeing as the phone line & broadband is not liable for a price rise at this time and so you can't walk from that!.

So surely if you want to keep your TV package its better to try & negotiate your line & broadband at the same time.  As otherwise in the future, leave things out of sync with services, renew your TV service now, out of contract with phone line & broadband a few months down the road and then decide better options elsewhere for your broadband, well could you then leave all services penalty free seeing as you can't receive the TV package without line & broadband or would they try to impose a charge?.  Decisions decisions eh?, I still think the regulators will be all over this.

With all this in mind, I got a deal of renewing both for a £3.50 per month reduction for 18 months as firstly I wanted things to be in sync and secondly I would not have got as good a deal elsewhere for the full package I have.  Would they have not offered anything on the TV side (as in even keep prices the same) I'd have dropped the TV package and waited for the several month for the rest to expire and just got broadband elsewhere as a new customer offer.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 48

If you recontract your BT TV package @dave909 your broadband/landline is renewed automatically for the same length of term. Any discount you currently have on your broadband will also continue for the length of the new contract as well.

I struggle to understand how anyone can think that broadband and TV is a single contract. It's clear in the T&C's, they are priced differently and carry different levels of discounts.

0 Ratings