cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave909
Contributor
Message 31 of 48

Re: Price Increase June 2019

@Andy005 I've yet to see anything that confirms renewing the TV auto renews the phone line & broadband, why would it, they are supposed to be separate agreements as BT would have us all believe, either they are separate and in dependent or they are not.  Before I renew both services yesterday I can assure you I was able to do both independently and now have 2 separate order confirmations to do this.  Renewing 1 service was never to my knowledge reliant on renewing the othert and there is nothing in the detail of either order that says otherwise.  How could they?, because they would be renewing against a customers knowledge and agreement and on terms and possibly prices that the customer has neither agreed to or been made aware of.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 48

They are separate but a customer must have BT Broadband in order to have BT TV. I think that this is a recent change, the last year or so, but I could be wrong. 

I renewed my TV contract online last week, it made it clear that I was also renewing my Broadband for 18 months and that my current discount would continue for the new 18 month term. It also says that a new 18 month Broadband contract is required on the letter that I received from BT about the TV price increase, it's in the extra small print at the bottom of Page 2.

Personally I'm very happy with renewing my contract at current prices, the way BT have 'tried' to communicate it though leaves something to be desired.

0 Ratings
dave909
Contributor
Message 33 of 48

That "may" be the case as you say @Andy005  though I have some doubts if a pre existing customer rather than a new customer could legally treated and held in such a way.  As let's face it "if" a customer wanted to renew the TV package but was unsure of wanting to renew the phone line and broadband (yes I know you need both)  if still mid contract or out of contract then it could be seen as an unjust move and policy from BT by the regulators and industry as its an affective over a barrel issue that could see BT name both price and terms for renewing the phone line & broadband. 

Maybe the future is if totally separate phone line, broadband & TV services can be got from different providers industry wide?.  

0 Ratings
Stuart_B
Contributor
Message 34 of 48

"Maybe the future is if totally separate phone line, broadband & TV services can be got from different providers industry wide?."

Can that not be done at present ? I have phone line from BT,Broadband from BT ( but could be ,for example,Plusnet,) and Sat TV from Sky . I have BT Sports from BT via Sky and am waiting on the BT/SKY agreement re that to kickin to see if I i can negotiate a best price for everything from either BT or SKY.

Overall the whole thing is more confusing than need be and the Regulator needs to have a good look at things.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3761870707.png
0 Ratings
dave909
Contributor
Message 35 of 48

What I mean is, whilst things are getting there, Virgin media is a totally different infrastructure and so at the moment I can't see any time soon we could get Virgin Media for broadband and then go directly to say BT and subscribe their TV service using BT receivers.  Though the same could be viable on the BT infrastructure, say get fibre based internet from ANY BT line based provider and still go directly to BT to get the TV package using BT receiver's.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 48

See link about BT contracts and in particular

If you recontract or upgrade either your phone landline service or your BT TV service (and you already have BT Broadband), then your broadband service will automatically recontract. This is so that you can enjoy these services for the full duration of the new contract without any problems or technical issues.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55530/~/information-about-your-bt-contract

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 37 of 48

@dave909wrote:

I've yet to see anything that confirms renewing the TV auto renews the phone line & broadband, why would it, they are supposed to be separate agreements as BT would have us all believe, either they are separate and in dependent or they are not.  Before I renew both services yesterday I can assure you I was able to do both independently and now have 2 separate order confirmations to do this.  Renewing 1 service was never to my knowledge reliant on renewing the othert and there is nothing in the detail of either order that says otherwise.  How could they?, because they would be renewing against a customers knowledge and agreement and on terms and possibly prices that the customer has neither agreed to or been made aware of.

Renewing BT TV or BT Sport with a broadband discount will 100% renew the broadband contract for the same duration as the BT TV or BT Sport contract, this is because they have a broadband requirement or broadband discount element, the discount you currently have on the broadband at the time of renewal will be reapplied for the contract duration.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
smc78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 48

@smc78wrote:

I had this at bottom of email 

However when I clicked through and put details in it came up saying they could not process it just now. This happen to anyone else?

@garybs29wrote:

If you look at the email/letter re the price increase of £4 does it not state something near the end like "You currently receive a discount. When your discount ends, you will pay the standard price" meaning the free period would continue & you'd be charged the extra once the free period ends

Tried clicking through from email again today but still won't process renewal!!! 🙄

0 Ratings
Stuart_B
Contributor
Message 39 of 48

Well ,for better or for worse,I have cancelled  my  BT Sport although I hope to resume that when Sky gets its act together ....I also got a £20 a month reduction in the cost of my Broadband/ phone.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3761870707.png
0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 48

One more day to go and I still haven’t had an email or letter.

This is going to be fun when they try and increase the price of my Max HD in July. 

0 Ratings