Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joeokane111
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 48

Price Increase June 2019

Hi,

Was hoping to get some advice on the following.

I received an email today (17/06/19) regarding a £4 price increase for my BT tv and sport.  I rang to cancel my BT contract as the only reason I rejoined BT was for the Sport, but am not willing to pay an extra £4 a month for it.

I was told that I can only cancel my BT tv and sport, but not broadband.  When I took out the contract, it was a bundle, with Broadband, TV and Phone in a package for £35.99/month.  

I see Ofcom regulations state "your're allowed to break your contract, penalty-free, if a provider increases your monthly subscription price from what was agreed at the point of sale."

At the point of sale, I agreed to the tv/sport and broadband bundle for £35.99/month.  As BT are now trying to increase this by £4/month, I should be allowed to break my contract with BT?  Not just part of it, but all of it as it was sold to me as a bundle, not separate contracts?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Ratings
47 REPLIES 47
DavidCo
Expert
Message 2 of 48

Re: Price Increase June 2019

Same here😠

0 Ratings
quinn1701
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 48

I had my similar email yesterday. Having picked it up today, I now have the task of speaking to BT later on about this. 

My recollection of my re-contracting call is it's an all in one deal/bundle not the apparent separate offerings the email implies. If they try to tell me differently I'm tempted to ask for a copy of the call as it wouldn't sit easy with me if there's any potential dispute as I manage the account for a vulnerable person. 

I have to be extremely careful with the money, £5 increase for entertainment and sport might not be affordable when already paying £39 a month. 

On a side note, the individual cost of BT Sport is horrific if you aren't on BT.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Contributor
Message 4 of 48

It won't be an all in one bundle, from experience you get quoted one price for everything so you know what you are paying then it's broken down into sections - broadband, tv, sport etc. There's no way it will have been sold as an all in one bundle

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 48

this is an extract from one of today's papers and confirms what @garybs29 just posted

'There is good news for affected customers though, as you can cancel your BT TV and BT Sport contracts penalty free as a result of the increase.

But you can't leave BT broadband contracts for free if you're still within the contract's minimum term - typically the first 12 to 24 months from signing up or renewing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 48

Following the receipt of the price increase email I called and ended up saving £2 for 18 months instead of paying an extra £4. Of course it meant a new contract for 18 months.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 48

I've received the same £4 increase. Apparently everyone has, so this is a nice little earner for BT. 

I only agreed my contract in February and it is the third price rise on my monthly costs in 18 months. It's tiresome ringing up every time to fight the increases. 

My package is apparently so competitive that I couldn't negotiate a cheaper deal. It was take it or leave it. Oh and by the way, you can't leave us, just cancel the sport package. 

Why isn't Ofcom stepping in when these companies are just issuing price increases every 6 months to prey on customers. It's underhand tactics.

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 8 of 48

It is BT  TV & Sport

It seems that you cannot just cancel the Sport on its own

0 Ratings
jem16
Contributor
Message 9 of 48

I received the same email today yet I signed up for the 18 months free BT Sport offer last August. Why am I now being told my bill will increase by £4pm?

https://twitter.com/btsport/status/1027859783712497664?lang=en

0 Ratings
joeokane111
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 48

Thanks for the replies and info folks. Spoke to BT today again, they offered 3 options:

1. Keep on same payment but increase contract to 18months (from today) 

2. Cancel both bt TV and sport and see out current broadband contract

3. Pay the £4 increase to keep bt TV and sport for remaining 10 months of current contract.

As none of these we acceptable to me, I opted to have the case go to "deadlock". Awaiting letter from BT and will be in touch with Ombudsman. 

Please share if you have had any other outcomes if querying BT about this. 

Thanks again

0 Ratings