cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emily1
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Price increase

BT have increased my monthly bill £16 more than it used to be. I received NO notification of this (I checked junk mail too) and it wasn’t stated anywhere on my BT account until a bill was created. It claims that I’m using more than I was allowed. However I have unlimited internet and NEVER use a phone (I don’t even own one)! So how can I go over the limit?! Will I be able to claim back the £16 increase into my bank? This doesn’t seem like much to some but to me it is.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Price increase

Welcome to this user forum.

See https://www.bt.com/help/home/bills/explainer/#/

Perhaps your original contract has come to the end, and the price has reverted to the standard rate?

Dial 17070 and check that the number that is read out to you, matches the phone number on your bill, just in case you have crossed line. Someone else may be running up a phone bill on your line.

You will need to get hold of a cheap phone to do that.

0 Ratings
Emily1
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your suggestion. The bill however does say zero minutes used. Should I have not received an email stating that my contract is coming to an end though?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@Emily1 wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion. The bill however does say zero minutes used. Should I have not received an email stating that my contract is coming to an end though?

No BT do not tell you that, but sometimes you may get a special offer or incentive to renew.

You can view your current contract duration to see if it has ended.

How to view your contract terms

First of all you need to go to this page. https://www.bt.com/appsordermgmt/secure/listoforders.do
Then select the order that you wish to view, and on the top right there will be a link saying "Show contract terms"

If it has ended, then call the BT Value Team on 0800 800 030, and negotiate a new deal at a reduced price.

Are you sure you are on unlimited usage?

0 Ratings
Emily1
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Ah okay they did send me a ‘look at these amazing new offers’ but I found it unusual that I would have to pay a connection fee for them…
I’m definitely on unlimited.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@Emily1 wrote:
Ah okay they did send me a ‘look at these amazing new offers’ but I found it unusual that I would have to pay a connection fee for them…
I’m definitely on unlimited.

Those offers are for new customers, hence the connection charge.

Has your contract ended?

The other thing to consider, is if you are on a monthly payment plan, then you may be paying in advance for any price increases.

It should all be there on that bill explainer, you should be able to see what the excess charges are for.

0 Ratings
Emily1
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Contract hadn’t ended. Bill doesn’t state any reason for increase. I think you’re right about paying in advance for price increases - I’m guessing BT change their policy in the new financial year, which this bill runs into. I’ll give BT a call and ask them to explain the reason for increase and to change my monthly amount to something more suitable.

Do you think they’ll allow me to pay when I receive a bill - so not direct debit? It’s quite a shock when a larger amount of money comes out and you have no backup for other bills to pay.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

If you are on the Monthly Payment Plan, you can move over to monthly Whole Bill Direct Debit, but the date of the direct debit will be determined by thee billing date, and cannot be changed.

0 Ratings