cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Price rises, Are BT trying to circumnavigate right to leave mid contract?

So, I'm hearing as BT are putting the price rise onto a single element this time that customers will now only have the right to cancel that single element penalty free and other services remain enforceable for the contract duration.  Surely this can't be right as everything is a package covered by a single contract, not separate contracts for each individual element but a single contract.  

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: Price rises, Are BT trying to circumnavigate right to leave mid contract?

And in looking at the detail, £4 per month rise on the £25.99 TV package is very large in percentage terms.  Added to that as the remainder of the package is offered at a discount due to being part of a package, being allowed to walk away from just the TV element could trigger or cancel the package discount on the remaining service.  Meaning our current £46.99 per month could in theory rise to £52.49 if we exercised our right to remove just the TV service. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

I’ve got the same problem. Signed up to 18 months fibre with free btsport for 18 months on sky and now after 10 months they want to charge me £4 for last 8 months free btsport. They have said I can cancel my free btsport without charge but I’m not allowed to leave my fibre contract lol. Only signed up with them because of the 18 months free btsport on sky deal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

@onhold wrote:

I’ve got the same problem. Signed up to 18 months fibre with free btsport for 18 months on sky and now after 10 months they want to charge me £4 for last 8 months free btsport. They have said I can cancel my free btsport without charge but I’m not allowed to leave my fibre contract lol. Only signed up with them because of the 18 months free btsport on sky deal.

You have a reply on your own thread which points out that you will not be charged.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Signed-up-to-fibre-for-the-free-18-months-btsport-on-sky-...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Thanks for the heads up. They responded to my thread 1minute after I’d made a comment on this thread. Turns out to be good news on my part. Not sure why customer services got it so wrong.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Funny enough I'm fairly sure that when we took the original offer with BT that the BT sports was added as a free extra (NOT with sky) for the duration.  Only after 6 months we had last years price rise and they dropped the cost of the same package by £0.50 in return for refreshing the contract, all terms the same.

But the rise does state the entire TV package being liable and not just BT sport.  But either way surely BT can't hold you to the phone line & broadband element of the contract due to not having any rise applied?.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

And in reading the small print in the price rise email I noted the bit that says "separate contracts apply", really?.  Can anyone from BT please tell me where I find each Individual separate contract for the 3 services we subscribe to?.  Because I've only ever had a single contract & single bill, so would be very interested to look at each individual contract and bill you must have provided!.

Screenshot_2019-06-21-14-25-41-896.jpeg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 17

@dave909wrote:

So, I'm hearing as BT are putting the price rise onto a single element this time that customers will now only have the right to cancel that single element penalty free and other services remain enforceable for the contract duration.  Surely this can't be right as everything is a package covered by a single contract, not separate contracts for each individual element but a single contract.  

They are separate contracts and I don't really see how you can think that they aren't.

There are aspects of BT's communications on this price rise that could have been better, but on the other hand if you re-contract for 18 months there isn't an increase, apart from the annual CPI increase that has been previously communicated.

There's been a few threads on this price increase, my view is that I don't see what the fuss is about, I will be paying the same for the next 18 months (except the aforementioned CPI increase), so I'm happy with that. 

In general, prices increase because that's life, but this rise is nothing compared to what the supermarkets do for example. The difference there is that the vast majority who shop in supermarkets just buy regardless, they have absolutely no idea about pricing. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 17

Hi @dave909 I'm sorry for the way you feel regarding the recent BT TV price changes. To clarify your BT TV package has it's own individual contract/agreement that is separate from your home phone and broadband services this is stipulated in the terms of service which you can view on this link https://www.bt.com/legalstuff/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

But how can they be separate contracts, I was only ever provided with a single contract and only ever get a single bill?.  At no point has BT or any communication I've noticed ever previously said each element is covered by its own individual contract for rights purpose.  Everything is a bundle contained within a single contract, always has been and the detail of my original contract and monthly bill indicates this to be the case.  Which is why I'm asking for an official backed up response and evidence from BT to suggest every element does come under individual contracts.  

0 Ratings