Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Problems getting connected

Howdy!

I moved house about three weeks ago, placed an order with BT on 20th August for phone and broadband.   I am really hoping not to sound like the whiney kid who has lost his internet, but we're starting to tear our hair out with this, and I wonder if any mods can help?   The BT online chat is, respectfully, painful on the fifth or sixth go ....

The house we have moved into is a refurbished older property.   It had a connection into the BT network via the pole outside the house.   This cable was removed when the building work was being done.   So when I was calling BT to order, I made sure they knew that there was no cable and a new one would be required.

An engineer turned up the other day and shrugged his shoulders.   He has connected a new cable to our house but not the pole because apparently there is a tree in the way.   I do understand the H&S aspect.   There is indeed a tree but it's not actually that much in the way - but he has now referred it to BT Traffic Management who say they will not report back until 27th September!   I should add that we have no mobile signal at the house either, so we are effectively cut off from the outside world.   I hate to play this card (you have no idea how much) but I also have T1 diabetes, and whilst this is generally controlled well, my other half is having kittens that she may have to call the 9's but have no means of doing so.

In addition to this, during the process, the details of my original order were lost, so it was re-generated within BT, but not correctly.   So now on my BT account my contract term is 2 years, not 1, my new number is in the directory not ex-directory, and I have no idea what extras are on the account.   Nobody from BT can discuss this with me until I get my number connected apparently.

And another thing!   I would like fibre, but was not allowed to order it.   I have since checked the availability online and it would appear that my local fibre cabinet is full.   I don't know if this needs an additional card to be ordered or if it is genuinely full, but I can't even discuss it or join a waiting list until my line is connected.   Frustrating, much!   If there is a connection becomes free in the meantime I really don't want to lose the opportunity!   Can't beleive I am going to have to go back to ADSL ...

So basically I am having a frustrating time dealing with BT, only being allowed to talk about certain parts of my order at certain times, and having work done over an extended period despite me giving all the information required to book this correctly up-front.   Add to that having to explain the whole saga every time I contact BT and you start to get the picture.

Is there anything that can be done to accelerate this process, or am I just genuinely stuck in the system and have to wait for procedures to be followed?  Apologies if I am being the whiney kid ... I'll shut up now!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have ... Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems getting connected

Hi @Mark_W and thanks for posting.

I’m really sorry you’re having so many problems getting connected. The main problem here will be the traffic management side of things. Openreach will need to submit a request to the local council for road closure. Once that date is confirmed, I note you’ve been given 27th September, it can’t be brought forward as it’s usually the earliest available appointment. You’ll need to wait until that side of things is closed off before any other account details can be addressed. I’m really sorry about that. If you’re still stuck after that please get back to me and I’ll look into it for you.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Mark_W
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hi David,

Bizarrely the entire thing got done on Saturday, so we're now connected.   I have a download speed of 1.9Mbps on ADSL though, whis is my next challenge .....   Apparently my fibre cabinet is full to capacity.   

Thanks,

Mark

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for getting back @Mark_W

I'm really glad to hear everything is up and running. It sounds like you got very lucky Smiley Very Happy

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings