cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rod2001
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Problems in getting a broadband service from BT. Very poor communication from BT

I'm writing this in the hope that someone can point me in the right direction to sort out this mess.

I'm currently with Plusnet and been with them for the last 3 years and I'm trying to get a broadband package from BT as the Plusnet contract is now finished and the price is rising sharply.

This month I filled in an online order for broadband. That seemed to go through okay and this was acknowledged by an email from BT.

The next day I received a text asking me to phone them to assist with the order. This I did then after a 40 minute wait someone finally answered. Sorry you are through to the wrong people that deal with this. I'll transfer the details and put you on to the right department. Another lengthy 25 minute wait for an answer.

Your order has been cancelled the chap (Mohamid) said. (there has been no email or text advising me of this!) You will need to start a fresh order I'll pass you on to sales. After further lengthy wait I was passed on to (Phil). Details duly given to Phil who then says there seems to be a problem with the line.

Is this a new build? No been here for 35 years. Used BT before signing up with Plusnet. I'll need to get a check on the line as it doesn't seem to be registered at the address you gave? At this point I said that's odd when I tried other providers online I got a similar message and couldn't complete any of the orders.

My wife reminded me at this point that Plusnet (some 3 years ago) had the same problem and you had to get a new number (not a new line) as the old one wasn't recognised. This info was passed on to Phil and he said this needs looking in to. I'll get them (no idea who "them" is?) to sort this out - hopefully today and get back to you by phone later today between 5 and 7 o clock either way I'll let you know what is happening when I call.

Well Phil never did phone that day or the following day and no there communication has been received from BT by phone email or text. I'm now wondering what to do next?

I see in My BT that the original order was cancelled.

I have no reference number or I.D. for this latest order and can't refer to it in any way in MyBT or refer to an email or text as I've received nothing in writing on this new order from BT.

Have any of the forum members been in a similar situation? I still have broadband from Plusnet so there is no issue there regarding service. I can be patient but would obviously like a solution to the problem and be able to move on.

All suggestions welcome!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problems in getting a broadband service from BT. Very poor communication from BT

It sounds like your address on openreach database differs from that on plusnet.  is your address identical on Plusnet and royal mail database

you made need to ask your current provider Plusnet to raise and ORDI with openreach to get your address corrected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
rod2001
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: Problems in getting a broadband service from BT. Very poor communication from BT

Thank you for the reply.  I Was in error in my post saying only a new number was provided, it was a new line complete in 2016 when we signed up to plusnet.

The address is the same on BT's database, Plusnets and the Royal Mail. As there is no way that I can see to check if openreach have it on file correctly I'm in the dark there.

It may be good advice and I'm thankful of your input but surely it is not my place to be tasking providers on sorting out this issue based on my limited knowledge of how the system works?

If BT has the problem - although the address is correct  with all the providers it seems. The same address comes up in several providers when I go through the motions of starting an order on line. Why would an ORDI need to be raised by Plusnet? Surely it is BT's provisioning / implementation peaple  (the broadband service I'm trying to join) that should deal with this? 

BT still have made no further contact apart from implementing the direct debit for the cancelled order. Cancelling the order it seems didn't stop the direct debit from going through. I've now cancelled this to prevent them taking any payments.

0 Ratings
rod2001
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Openreach have the correct address.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

If you are having problems moving to other ISPs because of your address then that is normally a mis-match of your address on the openreach database. In order to get this corrected you need your current ISP to raise an ORDI with openreach and once corrected you will be able to move to whichever ISP you choose

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rod2001
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thanks once again.

Just been on the phone to plusnet regarding this and they say there is no issue in tying the telephone number/line to my address.

0 Ratings