Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pbryanw
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Problems over final bill and bill errors

Go to solution
Hi, my BT service was cancelled on February 14th last month, after which I moved to Virgin Media. At the time, the phone part of my package was kept active as I was transferring my number to Virgin. After this was done, I phoned BT to close my phone line.

All in all, I had Phone, Broadband & TV from BT, and I took advantage of the April price rises to get out of my contract early.

Today, I received a bill on my BT account for £107.32 which is for advance charges for 5th March to 4th April, and charges for cancelling Broadband & Calls while still in contract.

I contacted BT to query this amount, and I think I've got everything sorted out, but they advised me to cancel my BT direct debit so the £107.32 doesn't come out of my account on the 13th March - my direct debit day.

I'm just wondering if this is sound advice, and whether anyone can take a look at this or advise, if possible, to make sure all the loose ends are tied up.

Many thanks, Paul
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Pbryanw
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problems over final bill and bill errors

Go to solution

Hi, if anyone could give advice just regarding cancelling my direct debit that would be great, as I think I've managed to get everything cancelled now.

When I last phoned BT, they said I would get a final bill in around 10 days time. Hopefully, I won't get charges for cancelling my phone line manually two days after my Broadband & TV was cancelled.

Thanks, Paul

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @Pbryanw and thanks for posting.

The quickest way to get an answer for this would be to contact our billing live chat team so can you give that a go and let me know how you get on?

Cheers

David

Pbryanw
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
@DavidM - Hi, thanks for your help with this. I used the link you gave me to get through to the billing live chat team. They then put me through to someone in Customer Options, who were very good, and managed to make sense of what happened to my cancellation attempt (it had got stuck somehow), and hopefully resolved it.

So, my cancellation has been referred to the Offline Team and I should hear back from them in 3-5 days. Also, I shouldn't have to pay the £107.35, but as I've now cancelled my direct debit, I might have to explain to BT what's happening when the payment day arrives.

Hopefully, everything's in the process of being resolved now. My only outstanding problem, is that the Customer Options person gave me a reference number for my case. However, I thought I would receive a chat transcript when I disconnected, which I haven't, and I didn't take the number down. Is there anyway for me to get this reference, or will I get a transcript later? Hopefully, it's not important to have this number.

Thanks again, Paul
0 Ratings
Pbryanw
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
@DavidM - Hi, first of all apologies for not responding to your PM. Unfortunately I only saw it yesterday, but many thanks for your offer of help.

I received my final bill from BT yesterday for the sum of £59.01 - this was worked out as £107.32 for my advance bill - minus that month's advance charges.

This still left £51.31 out of the £59.01 unaccounted for, and on my bill was down to cancelling my services in contract - which I had not done (having taken advantage of the April price rises to cancel my services).

Luckily, after a phone-call to BT, I got through to billing who were able to rescind this charge, leaving me with £7.70 for my final bill, which I am more than happy to pay.

So, I suppose if anyone else is in the same position (with unexplained charges on their final bill) then perserverance is the key. I phoned BT three times before I decided to use live-chat, and got through to seomone who could see there were reasons why my account wasn't closing as planned.

Anyway, I'm glad this is sorted now, and in no way reflects on the great service I received from BT for the two years I was with them. Also, thanks for the help on here, especially the link to live-chat, which I found more helpful than phone support at the time.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for taking time to let us know this is all sorted @Pbryanw. Really appreciate you doing that. If you decide to come back to BT let me know and I'll be happy to lend a hand if needed.

Cheers

David