cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Problems transferring from Sky to BT Infinity, lack of information and no calls returned

Go to solution

I recommended a friend to BT because ours has been fine.  I regret doing so.

The deal seemed wonderful - Quidco gives £200, BT gives a spending card of £120, Unlimited BT Infinity 1 costs under £30 pm.

The switch was acknowledged by both parties in mid March, to go live on 30th March.  I took the afternoon off to go round to help him get set up.

On the date, Sky stopped working.  Nothing else happened.

A message appeared next day from BT to say that there were technical issues identifed and they would update my friend.

11/4 the then case manager was going to investigate, supposedly cleared the technical issue and was to place a fast track request.

Shortly thereafter a text (phone call missed) said that "there is a stopped line at the property" and wanted confirmation of proceeding using a new number.  Authority given.  Several calls had been missed, because my friend is freqently out of telephone coverage, or perhaps becasue he doesn't hear so well.  We therefore arranged that BT should call me rather than him.

The current state is that he has had two personal case managers, the first of whom only existed for one call.

He has now had 3 orders cancelled and immediately reinstated with an entirely different VOL013 number.  He's on his 4th of those.  The latest email about his service shows incorrect one-off activation charges, but it isn't the email about his latest VOL013 number.  (Confused - you will be; he and I certainly are.)

He has had to be given a new phone number.  It is listed, whereas he specifically asked for ex-directory so he did not start to get spam phone calls.  That cannot apparently be corrected until the outstanding orders are all completed, so it remains on public show.

He gets texts from the case manager giving a revised date for CONTACT, and suggesting a phone call if he wants to find out more.  Every time we have tried that number, we get the lady's ansaphone quoting her office hours (which we are within) and saying if we leave a message she will return our call.  I've been authorised within the system to be able to speak for him.  She has never returned a call, despite now 7 8 messages left.  We spoke to someone on the 0800 number quoted in the order update email, but they are too low down the system to be able to actually do anything now we have a case handler.

On 28th April I made a complaint using web chat, got passed round 4 people, was assured the broadband would go live on the 3rd May.  On 2nd May, a new VOL013 was created giving a live date of 9th.

Using the MyBT web page or app, we can see that the current date for connection is 9 May *.  But every order has already had a live date, as have some of the texts; each of which has passed.

No one can or will say what is actually causing the problem.  It was a working fibre broadband with Sky; it is now a mere phone line, for someone who hasn't used a landline for calls for years.

He was originally told lack of broadband is not a problem because he could use BT WiFi, but there are now none near him, even though the BT WiFi checker shows good coverage.  Perhaps that coverage is his router?  He's using his phone's data for some things, but at 78 he keeps forgetting how to do that.

The latest text message suggests there is a routing issue with the telephone number, which is not showing an active service. She has pursued this which should take 3-5 days, and will next get in touch on 11th.

But it was BT that gave him this new number, specifically to enable provision of broadband!

Does this message mean that the reflection of active service should happen by 11th, so it will be some time after that that a working broadband happens/ Or (unlikely) that the 11th is the new live date?

There is an issue at Sky too, who still have an active account in spite of no phone or broadband, and no Sky TV for well over a year.  At least they speak to us when we call.

I'm guessing that the two issues are linked, and one of the messages left for our BT lady was to say I've found something out from Sky that she may need to know, so please please call back.......

Other than whether BT and Openreach have a clue. the questions that need answering are:

• Is all being done that ought to be done? 
  • Why will no one actually speak to my friend or me? 
  • Why does he get a date, then on or just before the date get a new date? 
  • When is a date an actual live date rather than a date on which an update might be given? 
  • Does each new VOL013 number reset some internal clock such that the delivery is not late?  (Sorry, too cynical, withdrawn)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Problems transferring from Sky to BT Infinity, lack of information and no calls returned

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Re: Problems transferring from Sky to BT Infinity, lack of information and no calls returned

Go to solution

hanks Keith

You remain a star

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @Fellwalker Sorry that things have gone so wrong for your friend with his move to us.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I thought I should finish off this thread. 

It took 6 weeks to get the Internet switched, including over 4 without any Internet at all. He must have been given 10 or more different  live dates. 

My friend got a rebate, and used my Internet (across town), plus I managed to get him connected via his phone as a hotspot to do important stuff. 

What a farce it all was.

BT reckoned they didn't get the transfer of the line correctly. Sky reckoned BT hadn't the right to take it because there was a TV package that had been supplied for free (unknown to anyone but Sky), which hadn't been cancelled (because only they knew about it!) . Despite that, they switched off the Internet on the transfer date, and couldn't switch it on because they'd passed it to BT. 

Meanwhile the contact at BT kept leaving messages on my friends phone even after promising to speak with me. She was never there when either of us rang back. 

The moderators are as helpful as they could be, at least confirming that things are happening in the background. I'm not sure anyone understood the situation whys and wherefores. 

Then BT decided that the line didn't exist (even though it had previously been from BT to TalkTalk  to Sky). They gave him a new line, new phone number and eventually BT Infinity. 

The positives from this are an improved connection speed and consistency, and the discount. He doesn't want to stay at the end of the discounted price. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @Fellwalker,

Thanks for letting us know this has been sorted. I'm sorry it took so long to get your friend connected. If there are any further problems please post back and we'll be happy to help.

All the best

David

0 Ratings