Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jazzman23
Message 1 of 4

Question about broadband cease charge

Hi all,

I am in a similar situation. My 18 month BT contract ran out last month and due to the terrible quality of Internet connection that I have experienced I do not wish to renew my contract. I would consider upgrading to BT Infinity however BT do not supply this service in my area (otherwise I would have gone with the infinity package originally). I am also moving home at the end of the month and they do not supply BT Infinity at my new address either.

Having rang up and informing them that I no longer wish to use their services I have received a confirmation e-mail telling me that my broadband will be ending and that I need to pay a £31 cease charge.

i do not see how this is a fair charge considering that I have completed my contract, always paid on time by DD, am moving house and BT cannot provide the required service in my new area and I am switching to a new provider. Having read BT's terms and conditions about he cease charge it seems to me that my above mentioned circumstances just exempt me from any such charge. I was also never made aware of this charge when I signed up to BT (I still have all of my confirmation e-mails and it is not mentioned in any of them).

i have rang BT to dispute this charge, and they have told me that they cannot waive the charge, in which case I asked to speak to the complaints department who I was told were "currently offline" however the BT assistant logged the complaint for me and told me that it will take up to 18 working days to hear from them. I can just see this being a long drawn out problem with no end result, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance,

Jazz

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Question about broadband cease charge

Hi @jazzman23

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum!

I have moved your post to start your own thread as that's the best thing to do.  If you are canceling due to moving to another UK address and we confirm that we are unable to provide the service at that address then the charge will not be raised.  Check this link out for more info - Broadband Cease Charge 

When won't the charge be raised?

This charge will not be raised should you:

Live in an exchange area with no cease charges (use the checker to see this)

Move home and you re-connect to BT Broadband via the homemover process

Move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new UK address

You are ceasing service due to bereavement or severe illness

We will check this out for you from here.  Just make sure you included all the info.  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
jazzman23
Message 3 of 4

Hi @RobbieMac thanks for getting back to me.

Is this the new thread?

Also do I need to do anything now or are you handling it from here?

Thanks again,

Jazz

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @jazzman23

Thanks for posting back!

Yes, this is your new thread.  You'll need to send us over your details so that we can check this out.  You'll need to click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings