cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Re: BT forcing people from copper broadband onto fiber?

BT are trying very hard to get customers to switch to fibre. My copper broadband line rental and BT sport discounted contract is about to end as I also have Virgin broadband at 100mb I only use Bt broadband for a single desktop computer for emails etc I don't need anything faster than 10mb.                                                                                                             I phoned BT to renew and to see what price they could offer, all the agent wanted to discuss was fibre I said I didn't need it he said that he could do the same price as copper. Eventually I said ok then he said that open reach would need to survey the property, I said forget it we have a long brick paved drive and there was no way I was having that up for something I don't need. He said they might be able to do it from the box I was dubious about this claim but he said no problem just cancel if they need to dig up the drive.

Open reach arrive drive has to be dug up, I cancel same day or try to.

First agent seemed very annoyed and said eventually I would have to have fibre left me on hold never came back.

Second agent more helpful said would cancel but couldn't do a new deal until cancellation had completed in 24 hours.

Received text saying new contract had been cancelled. (This is very unlike BT everything seems to be as promised).

Third agent couldn't put together deal as order hasn't been cancelled, but Ive had a text telling me it has! Give it another 24 hours.

Forth agent (3days later) after being on the phone for 45 minutes, informs me she can't put through a deal on copper  and when she goes further up the chain she is told there is a glitch and I now have copper and fibre on my account! I will need to leave it 5 working days for them to sort it out then I should phone them back, by which time my contract will be almost out of date and I will be paying £15 a month more!

My account is now a mess when all I wanted was to renew what I had, but because BT are so focussed on pushing fibre, TV and mobile they can't do the basics.

If in 5 days this isn't sorted I will be leaving BT for a different provider.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Can you enter your phone number and post results.   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

There should be a phone number where you could have and said you did not want the change but stick with your adsl.  Your account with all your phone calls making changes will be in a total mess and hopefully if you now leave it will sort itself out

if checker results show just FTTC available not FTTP then fibre FTTC just uses existing phone line so no digging required

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

@imjolly wrote:

There should be a phone number where you could have and said you did not want the change but stick with your adsl.  Your account with all your phone calls making changes will be in a total mess and hopefully if you now leave it will sort itself out

if checker results show just FTTC available not FTTP then fibre FTTC just uses existing phone line so no digging required

@nannajan13 

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Confused-about-fibre-switch-over/m-p/1996295#M116107

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I did not receive a letter about upgrading just an email saying my contract was coming to an end and prices would go up substantially there was no telephone number on the email but links to the offers I could have at the end of the contract all fibre.

As I did not want fibre I did not use the links, my initial contact was by telephone to the cancellation department where I was pressured to take fibre although I said  several times that I was happy with standard broadband. 

Subsequent phone calls were made because open reach when they surveyed said the drive would need to be dug up and I was told to call and cancel. Later calls were made because the kept telling me to phone back.

I entered my telephone number in the suggested link and this is the information that came up

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability DateFTTP Install Process
ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)ADSL Availability DateWBC SOADSL Availability DateLeft in JumperObserved SpeedsVDSLADSLOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus

VDSL Range A (Clean)68.24618.61240AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)65.84018.110.532.4AvailableAvailable-- 
WBC FTTPUpto 1000Upto 220--AvailableKCI2 Assure-- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 6--5 to 7AvailableAvailable-- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 6Up to 15 to 7AvailableAvailable-- 
ADSL MaxUp to 5--4 to 7.5AvailableAvailable-- 
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----AvailableAvailable-- 
Fixed Rate2 ----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)--11.44     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)--1.18     
Observed Date--2020-02-20     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRI--      
NTEFaceplate--      
Last Test Date--    

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

@nannajan13 

You do not have to have FTTP, you can have VDSL which is delivered over your existing copper cable pair, and does not involve any extra work.

VDSL will deliver between 46 and 68Mbs, so you must be fairly close to the cabinet.