cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
5,230 Views
Message 1 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

I've had BT internet for 4 or 5 years, I'm a light user on the 10gb a month package. My average monthly use is 2.2gb.

 

On Thursday I got a warning email to say I had reached 8gb. I checked the usage monitor and it showed I had used 95gb (yes - 95- not 9.5)

 

I dont stream films, download movies, play games on line or use skype. My usage is basically e mail and a bit of browsing, I had never exceeded 10gb. I've spoken to BT, they checked and say that 90gb was downloaded on Wednesday last week - all other days have shown a normal amount of traffic. I didn't download 90gb - thats about 4 years use at my normal rate!

 

BT have been helpful but  but non commital on the phone and I'm not sure if I'm going to get an extra bill or not - I've argued my case, they've been polite, but wont say whats going to happen. Technical helpline took me through resetting router passwords etc in case it has been hacked and they were good. They also called back today and discussed it again but the annoying thing is they seem reluctant to accept that I haven't done it.

 

Anyone else currently experiencing this problem?

0 Ratings
Reply
112 REPLIES 112
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
5,207 Views
Message 2 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@markgraham wrote:

I've had BT internet for 4 or 5 years, I'm a light user on the 10gb a month package. My average monthly use is 2.2gb.

 

On Thursday I got a warning email to say I had reached 8gb. I checked the usage monitor and it showed I had used 95gb (yes - 95- not 9.5)

 

I dont stream films, download movies, play games on line or use skype. My usage is basically e mail and a bit of browsing, I had never exceeded 10gb. I've spoken to BT, they checked and say that 90gb was downloaded on Wednesday last week - all other days have shown a normal amount of traffic. I didn't download 90gb - thats about 4 years use at my normal rate!

 

BT have been helpful but  but non commital on the phone and I'm not sure if I'm going to get an extra bill or not - I've argued my case, they've been polite, but wont say whats going to happen. Technical helpline took me through resetting router passwords etc in case it has been hacked and they were good. They also called back today and discussed it again but the annoying thing is they seem reluctant to accept that I haven't done it.

 

Anyone else currently experiencing this problem?


Mark,

 

I suggest you raise this as a new thread as you are more likely to receive personal help. I also suggest that you start monitoring your usage not just with the usage monitor but also the Data Usage figures on the Internet page of your Home Hub.  In the new thread make sure you mention what devices you are using to access the Hub, what type it is eg Home Hub 3 A or Home Hub 3 B, what operating system you are using on any devices, whether ADSL or FTTC.

 

If you go to the Home Network section of your Home Hub you should be able to get a listing of all the devices that have used your Home Hub.  Take a screen print of this.

 

I realise the above may seem somewhat daunting but in a new thread you can be taken through how to get evidence to support your case.

 

On no account reset your Hub and make sure it is connected 24/7 and not switched off.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
5,200 Views
Message 3 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Moved onto it's own thread to facilitate answers as requested.

markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
5,172 Views
Message 4 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Thanks very much for both of your replies and for moving the thread for me. Its too late to not reset the hub as one of the BT helpline staff talked me through this and resetting a new password in case it had been hacked.

Interesting to hear what you say about keeping the hub switched on - advice from another member of staff on the helpline was the opposite because she said it would use data just by being on, regardless of whether or not I was using my computer. I suspect this was mistaken advice.

The hub is a homehub 3.0 type A and I currently use it with a windows laptop running vista and a kobo arc tablet which runs android - I've a data monitor on the arc already and it shows a use of about 1.5gb in January. The hub runs over the normal phone line and I connect the devices wirelessly if that helps?

 

Thanks again for your replies, I'll download a tracker for my laptop. I've been checking the data monitor on the BT site daily, there has been no repeat so far.

 

Thanks

 

Mark

0 Ratings
Reply
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
5,158 Views
Message 5 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@markgraham wrote:

Thanks very much for both of your replies and for moving the thread for me. Its too late to not reset the hub as one of the BT helpline staff talked me through this and resetting a new password in case it had been hacked.

Interesting to hear what you say about keeping the hub switched on - advice from another member of staff on the helpline was the opposite because she said it would use data just by being on, regardless of whether or not I was using my computer. I suspect this was mistaken advice.

The hub is a homehub 3.0 type A and I currently use it with a windows laptop running vista and a kobo arc tablet which runs android - I've a data monitor on the arc already and it shows a use of about 1.5gb in January. The hub runs over the normal phone line and I connect the devices wirelessly if that helps?

 

Thanks again for your replies, I'll download a tracker for my laptop. I've been checking the data monitor on the BT site daily, there has been no repeat so far.

 

Thanks

 

Mark


Mark,

 

Pity about the reset. If that had not been done you could have listed all the devices that had used your Hub since the last reset and perhaps spotted if any external device had accessed it.

 

The problem with switching off the Hub is that the BT usage counter still records usage when the HUB is not connected. 

Data monitors on devices are only useful as a secondary check and can be unreliable.  All data to and from your systems to BT Must go through the Hub so the data recorded by the Hub is of PRIME importance and should be monitored on at least a daily basis.

 

One fly in the ointment with HH 3 A is that it appears to reset the Up and Down data values when they reach 4.3 GB.
Some people seem to have known about this for sometime and done nothing about it. The HH 3 B does not suffer from this problem but the HH 4 A does.   The HH 5 situation is unknown in the forum so far.

 

Based on what you have said, it sounds as if you are on an ADSL line. Can you tell us what your Download IP Profile is as it may not be fast enough to download 90GB in the one day (i.e. about 4GB an hour). 

markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
5,138 Views
Message 6 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Thanks again - I've run a speed test this morning, it shows the download speed from exchange to the hub as 8.13mb, (I understand this is the ip profile?) and from hub to laptop as 6.96mb.

 

Mark

0 Ratings
Reply
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
5,127 Views
Message 7 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@markgraham wrote:

Thanks again - I've run a speed test this morning, it shows the download speed from exchange to the hub as 8.13mb, (I understand this is the ip profile?) and from hub to laptop as 6.96mb.

 

Mark


Mark,

No that is not your Ip Profile.  The IP Profile gives the maximum speed you can download at. The speed result  obtained from any speed test is just a guide and can vary due to a number of factors. 

To get your IP Profile use:

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

 

Ignore the page of instructions and just tick the confirm button.

 

When you get your speed results Click "Further diagnostics"

Enter your Phone number.

The screen you end up with gives your IP Profile for both Download and Upload.

 

However based on your download speed to the Hub, your likely maximum download speed is around 3.6 GB per hour or

about 86GB per day. You need to add any uploaded data so 90GB usage in a day is possible but highly unlikely.

 

A more exact calculation can be obtained from the Profile results you get from the test above.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
oksnab
Aspiring Contributor
5,114 Views
Message 8 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Hi vofsanity - very interested to see your suggestions - if you could please check my recent posts on another thread you will see i have been having very similar problems all starting on the 12th Jan with my usage jumping to 123G ( of which 103 up) following day it went another 45G almost all upload.

I use myBT to monitor usage but can you give any more details on how to monitor the router activity in more details and what units are connected to it - sorry  I am not very techy.

I fear someone has hacked into my router

I am on infinity with a BT Home Hub3.

thanks

0 Ratings
Reply
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
5,094 Views
Message 9 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit


@oksnab wrote:

Hi vofsanity - very interested to see your suggestions - if you could please check my recent posts on another thread you will see i have been having very similar problems all starting on the 12th Jan with my usage jumping to 123G ( of which 103 up) following day it went another 45G almost all upload.

I use myBT to monitor usage but can you give any more details on how to monitor the router activity in more details and what units are connected to it - sorry  I am not very techy.

I fear someone has hacked into my router

I am on infinity with a BT Home Hub3.

thanks


 

oksnab,

I suggest you follow the advice I gave in message 2 of this thread.  It is important you specify whether you have a Home Hub 3 A or B as they are different.   It is bad practice to try and get your problem solved by using a thread started by another user.  

0 Ratings
Reply
prm1
Contributor
5,066 Views
Message 10 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

I find this post interesting as I too have recently had broadband metering issues with BT. 

 

Basic facts: 

 

I have a maximum connection speed of 512 K  (yes K - rural location).  However, realistically I can only ever download at a max of 480K.  (so 60,000 Bytes per second).

 

I have a home hub 3A - which is left connected.

 

Average monthly usage is c. 6.0 GB

 

I live in open countryside, nearest property is 400 metres away - anyone 'piggy backing' my broadband would be clearly visible from the house.

 

In summary:

 

On Saturday 11th Jan I received a mail from BT informing me that I had used over 6GB of my 10 GB allowance by 10/01/14.

On Sunday 12th Jan I checked 'my account' on BT the usage was actually recorded at  10.84GB by then

I rang BT (12/01/14 @ 12:20) to try and get the matter cleared up - 2 hours later I could still not get anyone able to send me an email confirming there was a metering error.  I was given 7 daily recorded meter readings for the period 5/1 - 11/1 by the BT operative.

I made a formal complaint using the BT website complaint page because of the lack of service/accountability received.

 

On Monday 13th Jan I checked my metered usage on the BT 'my account' website.  The reading was now 19.5 GB.  Ive set out, in the table below, the data that I've gleaned from BT along with readings I've taken from BT's 'my account.

 

Clearly the usage is impossible - in order to 'use' the 8.66 GB that was 'consumed' on the 12th January my broadband would have had to be uploading/downloading at the max connection speed for over 40 hours.

 

I have had a response with regard to my complaint this morning (15/1) telling me to contact the Billing team to ensure that I am not charged.

 

I am, of course, furious.  I still can't get anyone at BT to confirm in writing that there is an error here.  Why is it impossible to receive even the most basic level of customer service from BT?  I hope this is of some help to others who find themselves in this situation.

 

cheers

 

  Daily usage (MB)Cumulative (MB)Daily Use @ max speed (hrs)
Extrapolated usage to 5/1/14 1,0771,0771.25
Daily use supplied by BT05/01/20141171,1940.54
Daily use supplied by BT06/01/20144451,6392.06
Daily use supplied by BT07/01/20141111,7500.51
Daily use supplied by BT08/01/2014901,8400.42
Daily use supplied by BT09/01/20141,7003,5407.87
Daily use supplied by BT10/01/20143,8007,34017.59
Daily use supplied by BT11/01/20143,50010,84016.20
Cumulative use from BT website12/01/20148,66019,50040.09
Cumulative use from BT website13/01/201412019,6200.56
Cumulative use from BT website14/01/201459020,2102.73
0 Ratings
Reply