cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 111 of 113

Re: BT Broadband over-usage charge with no evidence.

@SidAllway wrote:

My partner and I have been a BT customer for years. On broadband option 1. Usually somewhere around 6GB, and occasionally getting up towards 10 - and only ever once over 10 (by a few MB).

17th Feb 2014 We got an email saying we'd used 8GB of our allowance. So I thought, oh well, it'll even out and if it goes over it won't be by much.

Then Today 17th March 2014 we got another email saying that we had used 69 GB. 

Given that we don't have BT-Vision, we do video/audio streaming, Skype, On demand Sky, netflix, online backup, online gaming or anything else considered heavy I was gob-smacked! So I got in touch with BT to find out where all that data had gone... 60 gig is 30 HD movies, I think I'd have noticed.

If the data usage is actually correct, then BT, show me. Come up with a list of my top 10 most-data sites for the month; or the MAC address of the equipment that is transferring all that data...

Phoned the number on the email, got offered to buy unlimited. Got fobbed off to a supposedly "technical" helpline who would be able to tell me exactly how the data had been used. That was the billing department who also offered the solution of paying out more money to buy unlimited.  Ultimately was told, there was nothing he or anyone at BT could possibly do! 

Phoned original number and this time got put thru to a tech department, who said they'd get a reakdown of my usage and get back to me - which they did after 20 minutes saying they neede another hour. Since from looking at various other forums it would seem that that is not even possible... perhaps not surprising then that I never received that second call 😞

BT seem to think that it is fine to charge random amounts of money with absolutely no evidence other than their own software which we all have to believe :smileysad:

It seems that I am far from alone in this and there are many other examples of this over usage problem. Such as trhis one on these forums... https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-broadband-usage-scam/td-p/511623/page/5

Sid

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Did you make a typo, or do you actually use the items I've highlighted above in red ?

If so - these will incur usage, and some could be high. Online backup to "the cloud" could be very large. What does the online usage monitor show for uploads ?

https://www.bt.com/broadbandusagemonitor

What devices do you have connected ? Do any of these have cloud backup, e.g. google, apple etc ? - with the exclusion of BTCloud which is exempt.

0 Ratings
hm8
Beginner
Message 112 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

Thanks for the link vofsanity2. My suspicions were correct!

Can anything be done about the HH4 resetting? Makes it harder to keep track of usage!
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 113 of 113

Re: Broadband usage exceeding monthly limit

@hm8 wrote:
Thanks for the link vofsanity2. My suspicions were correct!

Can anything be done about the HH4 resetting? Makes it harder to keep track of usage!

Regarding the HH4 A resetting I think we all need to escalate this.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Home-Hub-4-A-Data-Received-value-being-reset/m-p...

0 Ratings