cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benjay46
Message 1 of 6

Re: COMPLAINTS! Rolling contracts

I took my contract in Nov 2016, and around july 2017 I added tv to it. Now Dec 2017 has passed, I decided to call BT to inquire about my contract as I didnt receive a notification that has ended with the intention to get a new deal only to be told that since my contract has ended I have been moved into a rolling contract till august 2018. 

How can I get into a contract without my knowledge? Are rolling contracts not even meant to be monthly? meaning I can stop whenever I want to? The call centre agents were so dismissive that there is nothing they can do about it, how is that possible. I am so upset right now.

how can I not be informed that I am going into a contract and just be thrown into it like that. Is there any advice from here because am considering going to ombudsman or ofcom to decide this. 

5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

I think if you added TV in July 2017, then that would be a new 12 month contract, which would finish in July 2018, as you cannot have TV without broadband.

You can check your orders on this link https://www.bt.com/appsordermgmt/secure/listoforders.do

You should be able to view the contract details from your TV order.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

When your contract ends you are moved onto a 30 day rolling contract. This contract can be stopped at any time with 30 days notice.

If you added BTTV to your existing package in July 2017 that would have started a new 12 month contract because BTTV obviously requires BT Broadband and as the BTTV contract is for 12 months that would explain why your are still in contract until Agust 2018 

benjay46
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for letting me know that. That is exactly what the customer call center agent said. However, the tv was added and it was a differenct contract on it's own. If it made a joint contract, why did I suddenly start paying more from December? I dont think it's right for my contract to be renewed, my monthly increased, no letter sent to me to inform me that myu broadband contract is added to my tv and I will be paying a new amount from a certain time. 

It is really unfair, if nothing can be done to change it, then I will just sweat it out now and for sure BT has lost a customer in me because I can't be with an organisation that will move you to a new contract wiothout informing you and charge you more money. It is morally wrong!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Even although BTTV is a separate contract you can not have this contract on its own. It has to have BT Broadband running along side it other wise BTTV won't work.

It clearly states in the Terms and conditions that you need BT Broadband to have BTTV.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016tv.html

"Some of our services depend on other services. For example, you can only get BT TV if you also have BT Broadband"

If you did not start a new BT Broadband contract at the same time as your BTTV contract your BT Broadband contract would have ended before the end of your BTTV contract. This would have resulted in you loosing the service or incurring cancellation charges because you did not see out the term of the BTTV contract.

0 Ratings
benjay46
Message 6 of 6

Great, while am not arguing that the TV requires broadband, It is only fair to allow me negotiate my new broadband contract rather than automatically add it to the tv. Anyway, it serves me right for wanting BT Sports. I will just wait for the contract to finish and quietly leave. 

Thanks for the explanation. 

Ben 

0 Ratings