cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Re: Fibre Broadband might not be available

Hi

I was a loyal BT customers for years and years but in order to get Fibre Broadband I had to switch to another provider ( Virgin - whose Customer Service and Support site is terrible). I would love to return to BT for Fibre Broadband but they do not supply to my address even though my property is just 400 metres away from a BT Exchange. Can you believe it!!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

@Stumil000 

If you want further help or advice on this issue, please start your own thread here.

https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/Billqueries

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

@Stumil000 wrote:

Hi

I was a loyal BT customers for years and years but in order to get Fibre Broadband I had to switch to another provider ( Virgin - whose Customer Service and Support site is terrible). I would love to return to BT for Fibre Broadband but they do not supply to my address even though my property is just 400 metres away from a BT Exchange. Can you believe it!!

Proximity to an openreach exchange is immaterial as FTTP does not come from the exchange

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

OK, understood but it is a bit silly isn't it.

If I am only 400 metres from a BT Exchange and I can't get BT Fibre. 

Can I complete a form to request Broadband Fibre in the road that I live.

Will there never be BT Broadband Fibre available to me? 😞

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

FTTP ( full fibre ) originates in headend exchanges , very few exchanges ( out of the more than 6000 exchanges nationwide ) house this headend equipment, so although you may physically live near an exchange the chances are it’s not a headend, your proximity to an exchange building is irrelevant.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Not silly. Just irrelevant.

As has been said distance from the exchange, even if it houses FTTP headend equipment, is totally irrelevant as to whether your street will be equipped.  Much more important is how many properties there are, and how expensive it will be to run the fibre. That is all a commercial decision for Openreach, so all you can do is wait until they finally decide that there is a case.

unfortunately the fact you can already get Virgin may count against you in this commercial decision.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

OK, thanks for that info. I understand, but what I don't understand is the fact that BT can not provide my property with Fibre Broadband when other Broadband providers can. What is the problem?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I understand the commercial aspect of this but as somebody that wants to pay BT with money each month for Fibre broadband but not have the opportunity to do so is frustrating.

I wish I had customers who wanted to pay me each month but I could afford to ignore them.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

When you say you want Fibre Broadband and that BT can not supply it, what type of broadband did you have when you were with BT before you moved to Virgin?

If it was ADSL and not FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) it may be that you are on an Exchange Only line and that means that you will not be able to get Fibre Broadband until either a cabinet gets installed out side the Exchange, which will now be unlikely or until Openreach install FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) or as it is also known, Full Fibre,  infrastructure to your address.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Previously we had ASDL.

It doesn't matter what I have to wait for and as you explain why we can't have Fibre Broadband but please understand that it is very frustrating. 

I reckon if you sis a survey along our road, you would find a lot of people that are with Virgin who are unhappy with their level of service, so it would be commercially viable to install BT Fibre along the road. Why not at least try?

0 Ratings