cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Re: Left with no internet after upgrading to BT Inifinty 2

Here we go again, two years on and exactly the same problem as colleen0786. Changed from BTBusiness to BT Residential - Openreach engineer turns up to instal Fibre Optic which we didn't ask for, and fails. Next day, different engineer - similarly no luck. Then phone calls each day, all to same BT number but different people; goes on for 6 days and getting no where. Every BT operative says it will be sorted but nothing done. Finally given (after 8 days) a 'Case Manager' who fails to call me back, and when I finally do get through to hime again 3 days later, is shirty and unpleasant and tells me that if I want my ADSL line replaced ( inspite of saying online that my actual address was capable of receiving superfast fibre) due to THEIR failure to provide the line, I would not qualify for the Ofcom compensation! Even then, same old story about an engineer coming out (on Monday 14 days after it was supposed to be up and running) with no guarantee as to whether they will be able to fix the external box (where the fault apparently lies) nor whether they can get us online.

When I mentioned that BT was in breach of contract, I was told we didn't have a contract, yet 2 days after the initial engineer came in and failed to set things up, I received a bill for the new service for £88! BT never even read these obviously otherwise they would do something about it.

What a shambles

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi @DrAndrew  welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that things have not gone smoothly with the change from business to residential and that your case manager was not helpful or polite when you spoke with them.

You mention that the engineer was to install fibre optic but was unable to complete the work. Are you getting a Fibre To The Premises (FTTP) connection for your broadband? 

Cheers
John 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply - I assume that FTTP is what is (or should be) happening. The engineer wired up with a new cable from the telegraph pole to my premises, installed a white box, connected a new Modem and then found out that there was no signal - instead of checking that before he started.10 days on and we are no nearer a solution, only a tentative offer to 'possibly' reconnect us to the ADSL line to temporarily get us back properly online. We are using a (fast diminishing) mobile wi-fi unit to enable us to use email but little else.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Does it look like similar to this? If it is, then you are getting FTTP.

ont.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

yes, the white box is as shown but it isn't working! So, no we are not currently getting FTTP, but it is what we had hoped for. We are so amazed that it wasn't checked before removing our copper wire connection, and indeed, on the BT website Fibre connection is promised as currently available to our specific address!

I appreciate your comments but BT have badly let us down - it's now 13 days and we've been told every time I contact BT (every day!) that the problem will be fixed, but it's still not been done. The engineer (on day 1) told me that it would be done the following day, but to leave the setting up to whoever came from BT/Openreach, yet my 'case manager' said I must connect myself even though I have no idea how that is done. We have so little memory left on the Mobile Wi-Fi (which, in anycase is incredibly slow) that we can't get instructions off the net. We did actually have one of your operatives advise me, when I told her we had no internet, to go to your webpage to get directions.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

You need to speak directly with the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787, as the moderators on this forum cannot help with FTTP.

I assume that the FTTP ONT is showing an alarm condition, perhaps on the PON light?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

The PON light isn't on, only a red light on LOS.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@DrAndrew wrote:
The PON light isn't on, only a red light on LOS.

Then there is no optical signal coming in.

There could be lots of reasons for that, but its most likely to be an incomplete routing somewhere.

Only the FTTP team would be able to tell you what is going on.

0 Ratings