cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cristi
Message 1 of 7

Re: Libby Barr - are you real??? You sent us a letter and customer services wont give us your number

hi there, few month ago i tryed to cancel my contract because i moved from that address, and i called BT and someone from there told me i have to pay a fee because i still have couple of month from my contract. i said that is ok and i asked hom how much it s gonna be , he said he dont know but somewere around 160-180£ . he dont know for sure but they will send me an email with how much i have to pay ( i use to pay online every month ,not direct debit or something else).after few month i recived an email and they said they passed me to an debt collection agency because they try to contact me and i didnt answer , but i havent recive any email to tell me how much i have to pay or what i have to do . i just recived this one and girst one that tell me about the debt agency. it s just not right , i wanna see a proof couse they send me an email ( wich i thing they dont have it , because i haven t recived nothing), i wanna know if i can do something now because i dont thing they can do this , i wait gor them to email me how much i have to pay , they never done it and they contact me in few month to tell me they passed me to an debt collection agency.if someone can tell me what to do ? thx
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Libby Barr - are you real??? You sent us a letter and customer services wont give us your number

Hi Welcome to the Community Forum

I am sorry to see you are having problems with your BT service

I suggest you contact live chat at this link they should be able to help you

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums
0 Ratings
Seraph
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Debt Collecters are nothing but bullies.

If they (BT and their associated collectors) try in on, etc then politely ask them to provide a "letter before claim" to you. In order to follow through on any action they must provide information; eg who, when and how you have been contacted; what the alledged debt is for.the period, the details, service etc. In it they must describe the actions that they have taken to contact you etc. Once you have this letter then you have 14days (IIRC) in which to respond, It's all with a view to amicably resolving financial issues betwwen 2 parties.

Lots of letter before claim examples on the web eg: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/letter-before-small-claims-court-claim

Whilst the example indicates an individual taking a co to court it also works the other way round; ie they are the ones saying that you owe them money.

0 Ratings
MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

The fact that this debt was sold to a debt collection agency - Which debt collectors do they buy them/BT passed this on. Then you dont need to do anything as you have no contract with this agency. Nor obligation to provide them with any personal information.

And that is the point you have no legal contract with these bullies to pay this debt with them. They stupidly bought it off BT and now are trying to scare you into parting with your money.

Ignore them. They cant do anything! 

No matter how severe they make it out to be. As said you have no affiliation with them. 

Just carry on and dont worry.

Mark.

*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

I strongly suggest that you do not do as MarkG33 has suggested.

It is probably they case that BT have not "sold" on the debt but that they are using a collection agency to recover the debt.

If the debt was sold to the agency you would have received a letter stating that it has been sold or passed on and you should also receive a letter from the debt collection agency stating that they are the new creditors that you have to deal with. They have the same right to the debt being paid as the original company.ie BT.

A debt collection agency can do something about non payment of debt. They will first of all try and get you to pay the debt and if you ignore them or refuse to clear the debt they will more than likely take you to court to have the debt paid.

If you do owe money you should request a copy of how much is owed and arrange to pay it.

If you do not owe any money you should contact the debt agency and tell them that you are disputing the debt with BT and you should then contact BT and report to them that you are disputing the debt. BT should then stop any further action by the debt agency until your dispute has been dealt with.

Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Fully agree GG
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Seraph
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

As per GG....

If you do not owe any money you should contact the debt agency and tell them that you are disputing the debt with BT and you should then contact BT and report to them that you are disputing the debt. BT should then stop any further action by the debt agency until your dispute has been dealt with.

Good advice - I'd forgotten about this point. Register a "dispute" with BT and this wil put the Debt Collectors on hold (for an initial period of 3 months IIRC).

There are rules/regs/guidelines that the DC's should adhere to - most of them don't. I ran rings around a BT collector,( pointing out all the regs they were breaking) maybe 5 years ago imploring them to take me to Court and to ensure that a BT rep at Executive level was available to attend Court to answer my questions.

add: customer services wont give us your number. I have a number for Libby's team (based in N. Ireland) PM me your email address if you want it.

0 Ratings