cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamishpike
Message 1 of 9

Reasonable request and 40mins of being on hold and then 30mins of web chat - still NO HELP!

Hi, I am an Aussie, new to the UK. I have signed up for TV, phone and internet using BT Infinity Fibre (I live in a brand new home in a brand new estate), and have attempted to add extras to my account. After phoning 40mins before the closing of the lines, and being sent to 3 different people, and being on hold, I was RUDELY cut off at 8:01pm! WHY! How in any way is this customer service! Then, I attempted to use your online function to purchase the extra. I was under the impression that I had purchased it, and yet the extra channels STILL DO NOT WORK. After spending over half an hour waiting and talking with a someone on web chat, I have just been informed that sorry, he can't help and call back after 9am. HOW IS THIS CUSTOMER SERVICE! Working full time does not allow for personal calls during business hours. Yet it could not be sorted tonight at all. I find this incompetence. I am very much finding that BT and the English technology system is close to 5 years behind Australia. Why is this if England is meant to be a top 1st world country. 

I am requesting REAL assistance in solving this issue ASAP!!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Reasonable request and 40mins of being on hold and then 30mins of web chat - still NO HELP!

This is a customer help customer forum and you post does not go to BT

I would suggest you try the options team tomorrow who are uk based. 0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Re: Reasonable request and 40mins of being on hold and then 30mins of web chat - still NO HELP!

You were cut off at 8:01pm because all the UK call centre staff go home at 8:00pm.

0 Ratings
hamishpike
Message 4 of 9

Thank you imjolly, however, I am concerned that customer service in the UK is something that is either unheard of or simply not known. Don't know why, some companies, go out of their ways to assist, but BT seems to ignore requests for help. 

Just in case, this does not happen in other 1st world countries I have lived in.

0 Ratings
hamishpike
Message 5 of 9

Why accept calls from 7:20pm and place people on hold - how is that service please? In my working environment, you serve people until there is no further need to serve.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@hamishpike wrote:

Why accept calls from 7:20pm and place people on hold - how is that service please? In my working environment, you serve people until there is no further need to serve.

That depends on what your job is an the salary one gets paid. In a call centre there is no extra money for working past your hours hence 8.01pm and lines are closed. Many jobs it is expected that you work extra to complete a task but that is not a call centre

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

It all boils down to costs and competition. There are relatively few suppliers in the UK and they all charge about the same price because they all with the exception of Virgin have to use the Openreach infrastructure. In order to try and remain competitive they have to cut back some where and the easiest is on "customer service" even although this might cost them in the long term by loss of some customers.

By comparison how many providers do you have in Australia an what sort of price would you pay for unlimited data on a Fibre connection?

0 Ratings
hamishpike
Message 8 of 9

I understand that it is a matter of cost - but for just a little more per month, I had a fibre cable, home phone and pay TV and service 24hrs per day in Australia, with Telstra (the Aus version of BT). I was able to ring up and have it fixed then and there.

Again, I appreciate that it is a matter of cost vs need, however, I do believe that customer service would dictate that either a message or answering the call before being cut off would be a simple task.

Thank you for your thoughts and I do hope I can come to an understanding with BT and that I do hope that there is a better level of communication and customer service. I would be greatly disappointed if this is not the case.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

@hamishpikewelcome to the uk and I hope you are settled in now.

Regarding BT, prepare to be disappointed I'm afraid.

0 Ratings