cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Renewal and Minimum Service Standards

Ok, I've got a Renewal in 35 days, I'm currently paying BT £49.91 a month, and they say if I don't do anything it goes up to £56.91 a month.

Obviously I'm not going to put up with that.

So I'm on Fibre 2 with 57Mbit to 73Mbit download, with a 17Mbit to 18Mbit upload, and a minimum guarantee service of 52Mbit...

Did a speed test using MyBT and I'm getting 41Mbit, the option they've given me is I can end my contract without penalty.

Ok, so the speed has been **bleep**e the last 12 months, and despite repeated visits from the Engineers I've received no compensation, and the service has actually got slower, was 51Mbit at the start.

So I see what they offer if I were a new customer, turns out they don't guarantee anything in my postcode above 45Mbit for Fibre 1 or Fibre 2., and Fibre Essentials is nothing above 32Mbit guaranteed.

Then I check what I get for a Renewal of my Fibre 2, apparently they want to knock off £16.92 a month, so we're down to £32.99, with 33Mbit Minimum Guarantee download.

Now I was tempted to just leave it and pay the £56.91 a month, and then report a speed fault every two months, to get £20 off each time, to drop my effective monthly payments down to £46.91, but it seems I'm going to renew at £32.99 instead.

Anyone else experienced this practice of promising a faster service, not getting it, and then ending up with a big monthly discount at renewal?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Renewal and Minimum Service Standards

@M5WJFwrote:

report a speed fault every two months, to get £20 off each time, to drop my effective monthly payments down to £46.91, but it seems I'm going to renew at £32.99 instead.

It's capped at 4 claims per year.

@M5WJFwrote:

Anyone else experienced this practice of promising a faster service, not getting it, and then ending up with a big monthly discount at renewal?

BT have changed how they do speed estimates a few months back, rather than an estimate using various factors it uses observed speeds, the speeds at renewal are based on the speeds recently observed.

0 Ratings