cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKM
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Renewal of contract requires up-front costs for slower service

I am currently on a Superfast Fibre 2 contract which provides an 80/20 service with a 67Mb stay fast guarantee, but it is due to expire soon.  BT have reminded me and offered 3 renewal options:

1) Fibre with Halo 1 @ £8/month increase and £9.99 up-front cost

2) Fibre with Halo 1 and complete Wifi @ £10/month increase and £9.99 up-front cost

3) Fibre 2 @ £5/month increase and £9.99 up-front cost

However, all of these packages only offer download speeds of 63-73Mb and 58Mb stay fast guarantee, which is slower than my current service (albeit, at times last week it dropped to 1.2Mb downstream, although that was more likely system overload with everyone working from home these days).

Since I already have a fully serviceable Home Hub 6 working with SF2, why is an up-front cost, apparently "for new kit" being charged?

I fully expect cost have increased since my last renewal, but why am I being charged up-front costs for an inferior service?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Renewal of contract requires up-front costs for slower service

just phone options team 0800800030 and see what you can negotiate that suits you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

@RKMwrote:

However, all of these packages only offer download speeds of 63-73Mb and 58Mb stay fast guarantee, which is slower than my current service (albeit, at times last week it dropped to 1.2Mb downstream, although that was more likely system overload with everyone working from home these days).

As far as my limited knowledge goes, everyone working from home should NOT drop your speed to 1.2mb. In my opinion, you have a problem.

We live in an apartment and I can see perhaps 12 other modems within range of which 9 are BT, the rest S*y. We have no loss of speed whatsoever. There may even be countless others between here and the cabinet  located 100 meters up the road, outside the church. Could be divine intervention ensuring our stable connection OR BT's excellent FTTC.

Await a reply from the forum experts.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

The speeds are likely to be the same as you are on just now, probably giving you different information based on the code of practice (peak time speeds have to be quoted)

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/broadband-speeds-codes-practice

0 Ratings
RKM
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

I don't think this meets the "urgent requirement" that they are requesting calls to be restricted to at the moment.

0 Ratings
RKM
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Carlusha
Aspiring Expert
As far as my limited knowledge goes, everyone working from home should NOT drop your speed to 1.2mb. In my opinion, you have a problem.

We live in an apartment and I can see perhaps 12 other modems within range of which 9 are BT, the rest S*y. We have no loss of speed whatsoever. There may even be countless others between here and the cabinet  located 100 meters up the road, outside the church. Could be divine intervention ensuring our stable connection OR BT's excellent FTTC.

I didn't say it had permanently fallen to 1.2Mb. It certainly did for periods of an hour or so a couple of times last week. However most of the time, and currently, it is running at the fully expected rate.

Also, I don't think that the number of wifi SSIDs you can detect has anything to do with your connection speed. If it did, I would be in VDSL heaven as there aren't any tenement blocks round here. 😉

0 Ratings