Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markgb
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Renewal rip-off

Go to solution

I get why companies offer decent deals to entice new customers. And I get that many people upon renewal fail to act and their prices go up (or they re-contract for a higher price). I signed up last August.

I'm currently paying £30/month for Infinity 2, plus paid for Line rental saver last year when I took it out. When it was activated last August I was getting 68mb/s and it settled to about 58mb/s which I was reasonably happy with given the cab is 5 minutes walk away and not just at the end of the road. Over the year the speed has dropped and is now at around 43mb/s.

So now it's renewal time and I'm quoted £28.50/mth if I re-contract for another year. On Infinity 2, when I'm getting the same speed as I could now be getting as a new Infinity 1 customer. So I look at the BT website at what I could get as a new infinity 1 customer and here's the deal...

Capture.PNG

This costs £403.91 over the year. And new customers also get a free prepaid mastercard with over £100 of credit. So I call BT and say I'd like to recontract on Infinity 1 as it's no longer worth being on Infinity 2, and I'd like something close to the new customer deal. The best they could do was £20 a month with £4 a month for BT sport and of course, no mastercard. £90 for the year more expensive, even allowing for the fact there are activation fees etc for new customers.

So, I'm off to Sky whose new customer deal works out at a very similar cost once incentives are included, and as I have Sky Q already will also turn my Sky Q mini boxes into Wireless hotspots, improving Wifi coverage at home.

The ridiculous thing is that in 12 month's time I'll probably be in a similar situation with Sky.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Renewal rip-off

Go to solution

Contact UK customer options team on 0800 800 030, they should offer you a much better deal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

@markgb wrote:

The ridiculous thing is that in 12 month's time I'll probably be in a similar situation with Sky.

That's life. If it made any financial sense to offer existing customers better deals you can bet the ISP's would be doing it but the ISPs know most folk just stay with what they have got and it is better to offer the deals to attract new customers who will probably end up staying after their contract ends. If they do lose a few they know they will gain just as many because of the deal. In the end it will balance out for ISP

0 Ratings
Deedbone
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Just found I've been stung like that but worse.  Renewed through Uswitch to take advantage of the much reduced rate for the same service paying for a TV box I didn't want (it's still in the box) but as the box and delivary were £56 and the monthly saving was £20 it should soon have cancelled out.  Today got my first bill since only to find I am being charged the same rate for my service. So now have to pay for the box I didn't want and still pay the rip off price! will be complaining.

0 Ratings