cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GillyFB
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Renewing broadband contract

I did post a few days ago and established deals can change daily.  l am using the suggested number 0800 800030 option 1.

I have been offered a deal but insist it has to be for 24 months.  l have said that l do not feel it is fair given new customers get 12 months. When asked why l was against it l said although l am a 30 plus years customer -

(a) I am tied for 24 months and could not shop around if l wanted to as l have done in the past within the 12 months contract. 

(b) BTW are at liberty over those 24 months to raise the costs and therefore the 24 months is a long time.

I was told if l get an email saying price is going up for my broadband then as long as l contact them before the date of increase l can ask

(a) if there are any better deals on offer.

(b) if l am not happy with what they have to offer then l can cancel the contract before the price increase is due. Is this true?

Any advice would be welcome as l have to make a decision today if possible.  Thank you

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Renewing broadband contract

Yes, the contract can be cancelled if the price increases. There were quite a few posts about that when the last round of price increases happened.

Just found this thread at random https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/If-when-BT-increase-your-contract-cost/m-p/1536443/highli...

0 Ratings
GillyFB
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for coming back so quickly to help.  So one way to look at this is a 24 month contract could be an advantage if you keep on top of warning emails. (Looking at the link.)

It initially felt to me a long term tie is something that l may regret.  

Another  problem is my line rental that l pay in advance is renewed in April 2016 and my Broadband is 3rd November.  Would be easier l guess if all happened in same month.  l have been told on numerous occasions if you leave you loose your line rental money as this time would be say 5 months l guess.

Any thoughts please. 

0 Ratings
GillyFB
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

In my reply to licquorice l did ask if anyone had any thoughts on contracts out of sync.  How do others approach this please?  

0 Ratings
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Hi there,

all my contracts seem to be out of sync, but I am getting a bit long in the tooth so don't worry too much, also I got a very good renewal price this year when I recontracted. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
GillyFB
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Did you get offered 24 month contract Patty ?  l am long in the tooth also and do not have energy to change but want to get best deal. 

0 Ratings
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

It was a pound a month less for a 2year contract.

I have been with BT for many years and am unlikely to change providers.

Make sure you use the phone number you posted.

0 Ratings
GillyFB
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Well Patty - have renewed contract for 24 months.  Paying less than last time.  Like you have been with BT for years but here family around me saying you should switch SSE better deal, rental cheaper, etc.

l hope BT appreciate us if and when we have issues.  It's a shame BT are so low down in best providers.

The thought of changing, new hub, etc, etc it does make you feel like staying with what you know.  Also my speed here is very slow so going for the hype about fast download speeds is not even worth reading.

Thank you for your help.

0 Ratings