cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Renewing contract, keeping "normal" fibre?

Hi guys.

I just talked to a guy on BT to cancel my TNT Sports package.
Since my broadband/landline contracs runs out soon he also mentioned to me to renew it.
I told him that I was told by BT several times that I can't renew my exisiting standard fibre, but he insisted that is not true. He said that I don't need to go full fibre, I can still renew the existing contract and also keep my standard phones and landline. Digital voice will come, but it is not mandatory.  He said that BT is aware of problems with forcing people to digital voice, especially elderly people. 

So regarding to him, I can renew my exisitng contract with standard fibre and keep the phone/landline, no need for full fibre and digital voice for a very long time ...???

Thanks for your help, Tom

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Renewing contract, keeping "normal" fibre?

It is normal when contracts are renewed that you are moved to digital voice unless elderly and have a medical condition which allows to to be exempt just now

can you enter phone number and post results including notes - remember delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

this will show what is available to you and also if in stop/sell area/exchange

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Plusnet were ( maybe still do ) recontracting customers without migrating to FTTP when FTTP was available, possibly against the spirit of the arrangement with OR , which is to take the recontracting opportunity to get customers onto FTTP , but if this suits you, great , it’s at best a temporary fix , you could recontract today on that  basis , and tomorrow be notified of being migrated to Digital Voice and it will not alter your obligations under the new contract ( not a reason to quit ) , but if you continued on an out of contract basis that would also be the case.

No one is forcibly moved to FTTP , but at some point it will be move to FTTP or elect to have no service from OR , in that respect if you want to remain on ‘copper’ for as long as possible, then that’s up to you , your telephony service pretty obviously , will not be on PSTN after the PSTN network is retired and that is still slated for December 2025 , but for most the move to DV will be long before that , those with incompatible ‘fall alert’ type service services those that will be the last to migrate.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

thomas_e_0-1714993132124.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hope that is what you asked for
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

you have FTTP available to you and you are in an FTTP priority area so may need to change to FTTP but you can still keep the same fibre 2 package you are currently on

from what you have posted your connection speed is 60mb which is lower than your expected range - are you having connection problems with internet dropping?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Before they installed FTTP in our area I only had 48Mbit, now nearly 60Mbit. No problems with the connection, happy with what I've got. I would have no problem to switch to FTTP if they would be able to install it from the front of our house. OpenReach installed a pole in the backs for FTTP, that would mean we would have to do a lot of drilling and the cable would be visible - not prepeared to do that.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

how does your existing openreach cable enter your house if not from pole as fibre would normally follow the existing copper wiring

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

It’s quite unusual for the existing Openreach poles not to be used for FTTP as well as copper but there will be circumstances where they are not ( as apparently in your case ) , if the property is terraced, so no way to cable on the wall from the rear to the front of the property, then cabling through the house would be the only option if the ONT is required at the front of the property ( OR don’t throw a cable over the roof like you occasionally see with satellite installations etc)  , but is there a reason why the fibre ONT ( and probably the router close by ) has  to be where your master socket currently is  ? .

From an OR point of view , as the copper is redundant, the ONT can be where you want it ( within reason ) but even if you were prepared to allow internal cabling , OR may refuse that anyway ( on a time / cost basis) but what makes the  back of the house unsuitable for the ONT/router  ? 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

The last imagew shows the new pole in th backs where they provide the FTTP from.
My next door neighbour was connected from there.

The first images show how the current copper line comes into the (terraced) house.
The line goes directly into my office on the first floor where I have a lot of computer equipment (work) installed.
That where idealy the optical fibre connection should go as well, but not sure that can be done ... there must be a reason why they installed the pole in the backs.

Thanks to all of you for your time!

1.JPG

3.jpg

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

0 Ratings