cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Replacement youview box for faulty one. Now being told I'm charged for it

I started a 12 month contract in October and at the end of December I was having problems with my YouView box. After a number of conversations with various tech support they sent me a new youview box early January.

I am now deciding to leave BT at the end of my 12 month contract. Over the phone being told that the contract ends in January... Apparently I signed a new contract when I took delivery of the replacement Youview box. This seems very underhand and I am not willing to pay or have my contract lengthened when I signed nothing. Why would you not ask for the old box back or is this part of the scam to try and keep you when the contract is nearing it's end?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Replacement youview box for faulty one. Now being told I'm charged for it

Welcome to this user forum.

A new 12 month broadband and TV contract would have been started, when you requested a replacement box. The box is supplied on a deferred payment basis, so if you cancel the contract before the 12 months is over, you will have to pay canceellations charges plus the cost of the YouView box.

After 12 months, the YouView box is yours to keep.

See https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

Look at 4c.

And https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016tv.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

There's no reason why when receiving a replacement for a faulty unit and you're within contract that you should be expected to start a new contract, especially as you were only a few months in.

Certainly if BT expected you to be starting a new 12 month contract they are obliged to inform you of this.

I've had a few replacement units without being forced into a new contract.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @TexasBliffEm

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the confusion about being told you're being charged for the BT TV box when you have decided to leave after your contract term.  I can appreciate the concern.

Do you want to have a word with our >> billing live chat team<< this morning and let me know how you get on chatting with them?

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings