cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
K_Weaver
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Request for switching and got bills before the move date

Hi, I requested for switching to other provider on 28 March. I later got and email saying our move date is 15 April. I got  a text saying BT would contact us to have a chat but nobody called. Our bills date is 12th of each month and we got bills for £52.49 just for 2 days before switching.  I tried to call BT so many times last week to sort it out but I never get to talk to a person. I tried to call the line for broadband cancellation today; it said the desk is closed. Any other ways to contact BT? Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Request for switching and got bills before the move date

@K_Weaver 

There is currently no other way to contact BT apart from by phone on 0800 800 150.

The chat would have been to arrange a better deal to persuade you to stay with BT, that is all.

You would have to contact your new provider to chase this up, as BT would not be dealing with your service now, and once the switching is complete, you will receive a final bill from BT, and any credit will be paid back to the same bank account as your direct debit came from.

Provided there is no visit needed, the changeover to your new provider should take place on the 15th April, it would be much too late to cancel that now.

0 Ratings
K_Weaver
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi @Keith_Beddoe  thanks for the reply. I haven't done a switch before so I'm not quite sure what to expect. 

Regarding the final bills, will I get another bill after the switch? The current bills that I have now is for the service of 12Apr - 11 May. I just want to call them and ask to be clear that I'm not paying 2 providers for this month or at least I pay daily rate until I switch - not paying for the whole month 😭

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Not sure what the problem is, if your bill date is the 12th, then the bill you have received is around the date you would expect ( they don’t do a manual bill because you are moving provider ) , if the changeover happens 2 days later, then , in time, you should get a refund for the approximately 28 days paid for but not a customer, don’t cancel your direct debit as that probably would be how the refund would be processed.
Chances are the email you got said sorry you are leaving and if it’s a mistake to contact BT, AFAIK, once the migration is in place they shouldn’t call to try and persuade you to stay, but asking if you were aware , and offer the chance to cancel if you were being ‘slammed’ to a new provider is legitimate
K_Weaver
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

@iniltous  I'm not changing my mind for switching. I did cancel my direct debit after I made a decision for switching. Do you think I should just pay this bills and expect for a refund? Thanks for the reply 🙂 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@K_Weaver wrote:

Hi @Keith_Beddoe  thanks for the reply. I haven't done a switch before so I'm not quite sure what to expect. 

Regarding the final bills, will I get another bill after the switch? The current bills that I have now is for the service of 12Apr - 11 May. I just want to call them and ask to be clear that I'm not paying 2 providers for this month or at least I pay daily rate until I switch - not paying for the whole month 😭

This may help to explain how the billing works, but its not advisable to cancel your direct debit until the final bill has been produced, otherwise there will not be an easy way for BT to refund you, and you would have to request a cheque, which could take quite a while.

https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-billing/payments--bills-and-charges/i-don-t-understand-my-bill/w...

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 7 of 7

You're billed in advance, the billing system won't factor in the switch, once you left a final bill would be produced and refund you automatically for any advance charges.

As you have cancelled the direct debt, any refund will be by cheque, this happens automatically so there is no need to contact BT.

0 Ratings