cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 18

Returning equipment

I’ve just been reading BTs T&C which state that from 19th December 2019 if you leave BT then you will have to return any devices they have provided to the customer. This is a huge change. 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Returning equipment

@Jim-lad  You appear to be correct, that means that BT are only going to loan equipment like home hubs, and you have to return them if you leave. This has always been the case for the black wifi discs, but it looks like its now going to cover everything, so no disposing of your equipment online.

https://www.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

These terms and conditions were last updated on: 13 December 2019.

loaned equipment – the equipment we loan to you as part of a service (such as your broadband hub), as shown in your order confirmation.

non-return equipment charge – the charge applied to your account if you fail to return the loaned equipment at the end of the agreement.

Section 23 implies that everything is now loaned

• The loaned equipment (except the software in it) belongs to us at all times.You must look after it and not dispose, damage, destroy or otherwise interfere with it unless we ask you to (for example, if we're helping you fix a problem). If the loaned equipment is damaged other than through fair wear and tear, you'll have to pay to fix or replace it. We recommend you insure it against loss, theft or damage for the full replacement value.
  • Payment of the non-return equipment charge does not transfer ownership, you must still return the loaned equipment. If the loaned equipment is returned within two years of the non-return equipment charge being levied, we will credit your account (or provide a refund at our absolute discretion) an amount corresponding to the condition of the loaned equipment allowing for reasonable wear and tear.
  • The BT-owned equipment will always belong to us. You must look after it and not damage, destroy or otherwise interfere with it unless we ask you to (for example, if we're helping you fix a problem). If the BT-owned equipment is damaged other than through fair wear and tear, you'll have to pay to fix or replace it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 18

I haven't read it all in detail but I would expect that the change to 'loaned equipment'  applies to new customers from the 13th December 2019, and where a service is changed/added that requires new equipment.

In reality customers haven't been paying for their STB as part of their contract, BT just never demanded it back after the initial term.

It does require clarification quickly though because the "Do I need to return my STB?" is a frequent question.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 18

I assume that equipment provided before the 19th December will still belong to the customer? I just renewed my BT contract a couple of weeks ago and received a new Smart Hub. I returned my HH5 for recycling. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 18

Now TV looks to have been added to the T&Cs, so presumably that service will start very soon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 18

Hi @Jim-lad,

To clarify this only applies to equipment that has been ordered after 13th December 2019. If the equipment was provided before this date then the old terms apply whereby the equipment belongs to you.

Thanks

Neil

Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 18

Hi @NeilO 

Just to clarify, is this for new orders only or would it also apply to equipment that is sent out to replace faulty equipment issued pre Dec 13th?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 18

Hi @Andy005, good question. I'll have to raise this and will get back to you when I have an answer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

@Andy005 wrote:

Hi @NeilO 

Just to clarify, is this for new orders only or would it also apply to equipment that is sent out to replace faulty equipment issued pre Dec 13th?

According to the section in the Tariff T&Cs you will have to send it back if it is sent out as a replacement even if you had equipment pre Dec 13th.

See page 7

https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

"BT customers who joined before 13.12.19,who request a replacement hub,may be supplied with a reconditioned hub.A reconditioned hub is one which has been reconditioned to an “as new” standard and is supplied with the same 12 month warranty that would apply to a brand new hub.When you end the BT Broadband service you must return the BT Hub that was loaned to you, within 60 days from the date the service is terminated. If you fail to do this then you’ll have to pay £43 for a Hub 4, £43 for a Smart Hub or £50 for a Smart Hub 2".

Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 18

@gg30340wrote:

@Andy005wrote:

Hi @NeilO 

According to the section in the Tariff T&Cs you will have to send it back if it is sent out as a replacement even if you had equipment pre Dec 13th.

See page 7

https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

"BT customers who joined before 13.12.19,who request a replacement hub,may be supplied with a reconditioned hub.A reconditioned hub is one which has been reconditioned to an “as new” standard and is supplied with the same 12 month warranty that would apply to a brand new hub.When you end the BT Broadband service you must return the BT Hub that was loaned to you, within 60 days from the date the service is terminated. If you fail to do this then you’ll have to pay £43 for a Hub 4, £43 for a Smart Hub or £50 for a Smart Hub 2".

There is no equivalent paragraph in the T&Cs for BT TV that I can see, which is why I asked the question. It's the TV T&Cs that are important as the customer is likely to want to use the STB after leaving, not so with hubs.

0 Ratings