Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Revert To ADSL When Changing To A Differant ISP

Revert To ADSL When Changing To A Differant ISP

I have had an email a about price increases so going to change ISP I have phoned BT to let them know I am leaving they are telling me that I can not change to ADSL with my current phone number. Why am I being penalised fot leaving.

Am I getting too old for this???
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Revert To ADSL When Changing To A Differant ISP

IIRC that would only apply if you were on an FTTP connection. Your new provider should be able to advise.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

It has nothing to do with BT what package you will take when you move to a new ISP. If your new ISP is able to give you an ADSL broadband package they will arrange it. You need to speak to the new ISP about porting (keeping) your phone number if that is what you want to do.

All you need to do is tell BT you are going to cancel because of the price rise then you contact your new ISP and they will do the rest.

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Thank You Very Much @pippincp@gg30340 for your very swift and knowledgeable reply.

Looks like I am being lead up the garden path by this other ISP not a promising start seems I should steer clear of BT's Cousin.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 17

Plusnet aren't all that bad according to reviews. UK CS too!

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

PlusNet have changed the telephone number because BT will not release the my present number.

If you are leaving because of price increases then I understood there would be no penalty if holding on to your phone number is not a penalty then I do not know what is especially when Plusnet is owned by BT. Marketing ploy to keep you Locked into more expensive fibre broadband.

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Re: BT WILL NOT RELEASE PHONE NUMBER WHEN REVERTING ADSL WHEN CHANGING TO A DIFFERENT ISP

Why Are BT Retaining The Telephone Number For The Line That I Presently Use?

Does Any Body Know What The BT Excuses Is?

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Re: BT WILL NOT RELEASE PHONE NUMBER WHEN REVERTING ADSL WHEN CHANGING TO A DIFFERENT ISP

Received a letter today from BT telling me "Another customer wants to take over the phone line on *********** at your address on ** Aug 2018. Totally incorrect the simple fact is that BT will not release the existing telephone number.

BT have also made my departure into a complaint and referred me to the ombudsman's service if BT cannot find a resolution it seems this is standard procedure. 

It seems BT have found a way of making changing ISP as difficult and as stress full as possible.

I had a complaint against BT at the beginning of the year which was again about changing ISP where BT staff blatantly lied to me to retain the account which I proved as I had a recording of the conversation and BT accepted and sent a written apology for. Apologies have no meaning these days as the accepted way of doing things is we do what we want and if it goes wrong we just apologies empty words from BT.

It looks like BT require their pound of flesh.

Perhaps A Moderator Could Explain BT Actions.

I Have The Complaint Letter So I Will Use This To Get The Ombudsman's Service Involved

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Hi @OldGreyHair Sorry you are having a problem keeping your telephone number when you are changing provider.

BT Retail cannot block you transferring your number to another provider. Your new provider arranges the transfer for you as you are still on the Openreach network and BT Retail do not own the numbers Openreach do. If you check the transfer process on the OFCOM website (How do i switch) it does say "You can keep your existing landline telephone number when you switch if you want to.  This is known as number 'porting'. If you want to keep your number, let the provider you wish to switch to know."

You will need to raise this issue with your new provider as to why they are not able to transfer over your phone number.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Once Again A Big Thank You To @JohnC2

For your knowledgeable and concise explanation.

0 Ratings