cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mixyblob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Routed to wrong exchange

I've just tried to apply for Infinity as it's just become available in our village.
BTs website tells me its not available at my property although it is for all my neighbours who are fed off the same DP as me.
It transpires my property is routed to an exchange approximately 50 miles away, according to Openreaches records.
I've ordered an exchange line with the intention of upgrading to Infinity once the routing has been corrected to the right exchange
What I'd like to know is how I can get OR to correct the routing prior to the engineer arriving to tell me he can't give me service.
I've tried via BT and even OR but they can't/ won't help.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Regards
Jim
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Routed to wrong exchange

In order to find out what services and speed range you could be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

This data will tell you which cabinet you are on, or whether you are on an EO (Exchange only) line.

Do you have a working BT Retail line?

If it is a database issue, and you are trying to order BT Infinity, then one of the forum moderators should be able to help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

If you are connected to an exchange 50miles away then you cannot have any broadband at present as that is far to far for a connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mixyblob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Thanks Keith, I don't have a line at the moment although I've been given a number from an exchsnge 50 miles away.
Its definitely a database issue, it would be great if a mod could help.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

If you don't have a phone use your address in the checker

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mixyblob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Just to clarify, I'm not connected to an exchange 50 miles away, its just the OR database seems to think I should be connected to it!
My local exchange is actually 4 miles away and the cab 1 mile.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

@Mixyblob wrote:
 I've been given a number from an exchsnge 50 miles away.
Its definitely a database issue, it would be great if a mod could help.

The number issue is nothing to be concerned about. What its telling you is the address of the central exchange, which is quite normal when you initially get a new allocation, as no line plant has been allocated yet.

You will be connected to a remote concentrator unit (RCU) located in your local exchange. These concentrators are connected by digital links, back to the parent exchange, which in your case is 50 miles away.

See http://www.davros.org/phones/btnetwork.html

Once you get your BT Retail telephone number, and its fully working, you should then see the exchange and cabinet you are connected to.

No moderator help is needed at this stage.

When is your phone line due to be activated?

Mixyblob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

The exchange in question is Blackawton, whos central exchange, I believe, is Torquay.
My local exchange is Bere Alston, whos central exchange, I think, is Tavistock.
This is, I assume, the reason BT are saying I can't have Infinity.
My line is due for installation 23rd August.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

I would not worry about it at this stage. Sometimes numbers are re-parented onto different exchanges within the same dialling code. Once you have a working line, it should all make sense.

0 Ratings
Mixyblob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Yes, I'm sure it will all be resolved in time, I was just trying to pre-empt any problems or delays, of which, I'm sure, there will be many.
Retiring after 22 years as a BT/OR engineer, I thought my days of utter frustration with the company were over......
0 Ratings