cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobMac
Beginner
Message 1 of 62

Scam calls from Indian call centre

Every single time I have to call BT's Customer Service in India, within 24-48 hours I start getting scam and phishing calls from . . . an Indian call centre!

Either it's the same call centre that operates BT's Customer Service, or at the very least someone there is passing on active BT phone numbers to the scammers.  It's happened far too often to be coincidence.

Anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

And what are BT going to do about something that could well be a serious security leak?

BobMac

0 Ratings
61 REPLIES 61
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 62

Re: Scam calls from Indian call centre

these scams have been happening for years they happen to customers of all providers it is not related to BT or the call centres used these scammers use auto dialers that generate random groups there is nothing BT or any other provider can do
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 62

@john46 wrote:
these scams have been happening for years they happen to customers of all providers it is not related to BT or the call centres used these scammers use auto dialers that generate random groups there is nothing BT or any other provider can do

What you say is generally true but there is circumstantial evidence to suggest as the original poster has said that after a conversation with the indian call centre there is a follow up call from another indian call centre. These tend to be different from the "normal" type of call that you describe.  
I do not call BT india very often but on at least two occasions I had a follow up call as described.

As a responsible company BT should at least investigate this issue by use of a sting operation if necessary.

They could also request and make it easy for any user to report a scam call that occurs within 24 hours of contact with BT India.  This ought to provide some better evidence to support or otherwise the existence of the problem.

Unfortunately individual users cannot by themselves accumulate enough evidence to convince BT they might have a problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 62

i know of some one who is with Talk Talk but regularly get the same type of calls claiming to be phoning on behalf of BT to help them with there BT broadband problem these callers are simply opportunists
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 62

I have two BT Lines one in the public domain and another ex-directory with BT Broadband. I get opportunist calls on the first but none on the second except on the two occasions already mentioned after contact with BT India. The nature of these calls as I have already said were different.

Your response is typical of the type of response I would expect if I drew these calls to BT's attention.

The evidence is circumstantial but BT should investigate.

0 Ratings
BobMac
Beginner
Message 6 of 62

For what it's worth, before having to contact BT's Customer Service, I had not had a single 'International' scam call for at least six months.  Sure enough, immediatley afterwards...

As I commented in my original posting: this has happened every single time I call BT's helpline.  Far too much of a coincidence !!   

As another poster has said, a responsible company would at least investigate. After all, it may not just be phone numbers that are leaking from your Indian call centre. What other account details do they have access to? 

Your complacency is astonishing.

BobMac

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 62

This is essentially a customer to customer forum with limited BT presence. If you want to ask BT to investigate your suspicions, the best way would be to write to them at

BT Correspondence Centre
Providence Row
Durham
DH98 1BT

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 62

This is happened to me, however my BT account is under a fake name so that when I get calls I know exactly who passed on my data as no one else would call my house and ask for this name. 

BT you need to investigate this properly it bothers me that old people would be caught out by scams like this. 

The Indian sounding man hung up when I asked who had given him my details.

0 Ratings
Noinfinity
Contributor
Message 9 of 62

0 Ratings
Highlighted
theriddlerz
Contributor
Message 10 of 62

i think now if bt wants customers to continue useing bt network with our getting billing from third party i think all bt all centre shood be back in uk u have just set up bt business direct i bolton manchester now there is nothing wrong with any of the customers moving to bt business direct to get off of the india call centres i forgot to day that everthing is shut in uk and got inda call centre all departments and asked them nicelly not to call and i have had 6 calls to day 7 if u include my own call and 6 diffrent people calling all climing to bt calling on behave of bt so to say what u have said to that customer it's just way wrong guys because i have spent hours after hours on phone to theses so called call centres and the shoodnt even have our details out o the county as the deal was with india was 1 person  can do a 3 man job and u edup paying 6 people becuase the only work 4 hours at a time nd 8 hours off

so bobmac if this is ment to be a customer customer forum and none of us can chat to real bt people then think addressing this to bbc watchdog and ofcom

0 Ratings