cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
owenroberts
Message 1 of 8

Serious overcharging!

Hello,

Having got preciesely nowhere with BT "customer service" either over the phone or in wiriting I'm hoping that someone might be able to suggest how to resolve the problem of BT overcharging me for the past 6 months. Apologies for the lengthy post, but this is what has happened:

I have had a BT phone line for approximately 20 years and for at least the last 5 years I have had the Anytime Unlimited call package on my account. I decided to switch my broadband to BT also however I found the connection to be unreliable and so on 5th July 2015 I called to cancel my broadband service. Following the phone call I received an email confirming that both my broadband AND phone line would be cancelled on 3rd August 2015. I called back immediately to say that I didn't want to cancel the phone line, only the broadband, I was told that this had been corrected.

However on checking my most recent bill (which was much higher than I expected), I found that not only am I still being charged for broadband, but also that I am being charged for all of my phone calls too! When I called on 17th January 2016 to query this I was told that because I had received more than one bill since the error there was nothing that could be done! Even after a conversation with a Supervisor (who was very rude!) the position was unchanged and so out of frustration I called to cancel my BT phone line.

When I spoke to the cancellations department later that day the person that answered asked me why I wanted to cancel and so I explained - he checked my account and verified that the broadband had been added back on in error and also that the Anytime Unlimited call plan had been taken off when the phone line had been cancelled by mistake and had not been reinstated. He went on to say that due to the value of the credit that was owed it would need to be referred and that I should hear back within 18 working days. I was happy with this and so agreed not to cancel. Following the call I realised that I had not asked for the Anytime Unlimited call plan to be reinstated and so I called back to ask for this to be done.

Having not heard anything at all back I called again on 14th February to ask for an update only to be told that the complaint had been closed and that no credit would be raised! And on checking my account I can see that I am STILL being charged for broadband!!

I have just been through my two most recent bills and I believe that I have been overcharged to the tune of around £426 over the past six months, not including any charges that have been applied since my last bill on 15 January - so the total is likely to be closer to £500! To be told "tough luck, we won't do anything about it, despite the fact that all of the charges are as a result of our error" is, quite frankly, appalling. I can't believe that any company would have this sort of policy with regard to incorrect charges.

Last weekend I spent over an hour on the phone being transferred between the cancellations and billing departments and am still no further to sorting out this problem. I have also sent a similar message to this using the complaints section on the website and have not heard anything back despite being promised a response within 7 days. I am becoming increasingly frustrated by the fact that no one seems able or willing to resolve this issue. 

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Serious overcharging!

I have asked a moderator to help you they will post their contact link here
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi @owenroberts,

I am sorry that you have been over charged. I would like to take a look at the details of your complaint. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
johnnyboy1
Message 4 of 8

Hi I am in the middle of checking my BT previous bills which I am sure I have been overcharge by hundred of pounds also, after reading your statement I am wondering what I can do to get my  possible overcharges  credited to me.I was wondering if you eventually got anywhere with your overcharging.

0 Ratings
MC07
Message 5 of 8

Raise it with OFCOM.

BT (as well as all UK Telecos) are under obligations to bill customers correctly under the Billing and Metering direction (part of their licence conditions).

I'm sure BT will soon refund your overcharges

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi @johnnyboy1,

I am sorry to hear that this has happened. Have you spoken with us over the phone or raised a complaint?

If you need our help with this please let me know.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

As johnnyboy1 posted three months ago and has not been back on the forum since then, hopefully he has had his problem resolved before now.

Message 8 of 8

Good spot @gg30340,

Hopefully everything has been resolved by now. If it isn't, my offer of help still stands.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”