cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cambus36
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Should I upgrade to Halo 1 or 2?

I am getting almost daily emails asking me to upgrade to either Halo 1 or Halo 2. I realise that most of this is marketing (and is unlikely to increase my speed), and am worried about being duped.

Halo 2 comes with a new Smart Hub 2. I am currently using an ancient HH3 (the one with the separate modem). Is it worth upgrading just to get a free router?

I am currently on Fibre 2 with a substantial discount. Does the Halo price promise cover the discount so my price will not increase after my new contracted price comes to an end?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
gspearson
Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Should I upgrade to Halo 1 or 2?

No to both.  Nothing changes except what you pay, which is more.  The Halo is an odd proposal - adding some kind of technical support to something that should not need it, and doesn't.  It doesn't change your speed or reliability.  The last hub I got from BT was a HH3 - since then I have been buying spares on a well-known auction site.

My next change will be to fibre to the house - which is now only a couple of streets away.  That will free me from our aluminium landline.

I've been with BT broadband for over 20 years (and telephone for over 50 years) - very reliable.

0 Ratings
Cambus36
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Thank you for quick reply.  I suspected Halo might be more akin to snake oil and you have just confirmed. My ancient HH3 has proven to be reliable (touch wood) so I might stick to what I have.

How do you monitor FTTP progress out of interest? Openreach say it is available, but I'm not quite sure what "available" means in BT-speak?

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 4 of 22

The contractors are Morrisons, they have signs for Openreach and the new fibre is visible up the telephone poles all round.  Meanwhile I signed up to Openreach alerts and they send one every three months saying it is almost here.  My pole is a bit awkward but most streets have miles of fibre being pulled through pipes.  It can't be long now. 

I don't call it FTTP which is commercial and expensive. I want FTTH (home).

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

@gspearsonwrote:

The contractors are Morrisons, they have signs for Openreach and the new fibre is visible up the telephone poles all round.  Meanwhile I signed up to Openreach alerts and they send one every three months saying it is almost here.  My pole is a bit awkward but most streets have miles of fibre being pulled through pipes.  It can't be long now. 

Both Openreach and BT call it FTTP. FTTP on Demand is commercial and expensive. WBC FTTP is the residential equivalent and is priced the same as FTTC and G.Fast.

@Cambus36  To check wavailabilty enter your number HERE and post the result, remove number before posting.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

@gspearson wrote:

FTTP is not commercial and expensive. It is exactly the same as what you call FTTH.

FTTP on Demand is the name of the product you are thinking about as being a commercial and expensive.

0 Ratings
Cambus36
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

All these very similar acronyms are very confusing.

@pippincp  - Results as requested.FTTP2.jpg

0 Ratings
ney
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 22

@Cambus36 An upgrade from your old HH3 should improve your wifi if you have poor wifi and may even give you a more steady download speed.

The Halo price promise will not cover any discounts that you have the now. You will have to try and get BT to offer you new discount if you changed to one of the Halos.
If you don't want to to pay the extra cost a month then upgrading to Halo1 would be fine.

Halo price promise will cover any discounts that you get with your new contracts. Remember BT will put price up once a year in line with the PRI. That may affect any discounts that you have.

I upgraded from the HH4 to the HH6(smart Hub) back in January and wifi for me although still not 100% perfect is still a big improvement  on what I had before with the HH4.

I also now getting more of a steady download spend. 
Im on Halo1 and Fibre2. BT did try and get me to take Halo 2 When I last renewed my contract 18 months ago. I renewed all my contracts again at the start of March when I changed my TV package and was not given much of a discount on my Fibre 2. As I still have 4 months on my contracts still to go the guy on phone said.

BT no longer do 18 month contracts is now all 24 months.
Openreach FTTP rollout has been delayed in my area due to the coronavirus till sometime next year.

If anyone wants FTTP in my area they will have to get cable.

Darren

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

@Cambus36wrote:

All these very similar acronyms are very confusing.

@pippincp  - Results as requested.FTTP2.jpg

FTTP is not available to you yet.

0 Ratings
California
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

No, you shouldn't upgrade to Halo.

Almost nothing changes except what you pay, which is more.

I do not feel any Halo benefits in real life.

I am trying desperately to downgrade.

BT recommends me to upgrade to Halo 2 and to pay even more. This is completely ridiculous.

0 Ratings