cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Curbo95
Message 1 of 3

Go to solution

Hi,

I know this question wil have been posted a lot but I couldn't find the right answer. I got my letter about the price increase and decided I wanted to leave. So I called and asked about leaving without paying an early fee. The gentlemen said I was within the 30 days, but I would have to pay a fee of £31 since I'll be cancelling everything. I could avoid this if I switch to another provider.

My question is, I was planning to moving to Sky, but do I sign up with them and then let BT know I'm leaving to avoid the costs of leaving early or the other way round? I'm sure I have at least 2 months left on my contract so I'd rather skip paying that cost.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Sign up with new provider first then contact BT?

Go to solution

You phone BT, using the number given on the letter or email (0800 085 7336) and tell them you are leaving because of the price rise.  The person you speak to should record that on their system.  You don't actually need to cancel the phone or broadband during that call.  Then you contact the new provider to take over the line.

That way, you don't get cut off*, there's no disconnection fee and no early termination fee.

*though if it's Sky, then transfers to or from them seem to be more problematic for some reason.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Sign up with new provider first then contact BT?

Go to solution

I think you need to let BT know you're leaving due to the price increase though.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings