cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
onhold
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Signed up to fibre for the free 18 months btsport on sky deal and now they want to start charging

I switched to BT fibre 10 months ago because of their 18 months free btsports on sky offer. Got an email yesterday saying I now have to pay £4 extra a month for the last 10 months of my free btsport on sky package? ???

I phoned customer services and they said the only way I could still get btsport for free was to recontract and they’d give me it free for 6 months and then full price for the next 6 months!!!

I pointed out that they haven’t honoured the 18 months free deal so what chances of them honouring the 6 month free deal.

Ive put in a complaint as I can’t see how they can start charging when they used the word free in the marketing rather than discounted offer.

Anyone else in the same boat? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Signed up to fibre for the free 18 months btsport on sky deal and now they want to start chargin

Hi @onhold welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I sorry for any confusion caused.  The adviser you spoke to was mistaken, if you have a free BT Sports deal we will continue to honour this for the agreed duration then after the 18 months is up the out of contract price will increase by £4. I can assure you that it will continue to be free for the remainder of the agreed 18 months.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
kevcritch
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: Signed up to fibre for the free 18 months btsport on sky deal and now they want to start chargin

Really? Does this only apply to that particular deal? I had notification that my Essentials package will increase by £4. Presumably i either exercise my right to leave the package early, thereby losing access to the free BT Sports and Amazon Prime, or i pay the £4 a month if i want to continue to have access to the promised free incentives.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 6

Really, @NeilO ?

BT offer BT Sports free for 18 months, but change their minds mid-contract and introduce a charge? Surely that’s in breach of ASA standards?

Stew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

If BT are now charging for a product that they said would be free for a set period of time it is very possible  that what they are doing is actually a criminal offence. It is an offence for a seller to provide misleading information on the pricing of goods or services. All hidden costs must also be included in the final price, or made clear on the advertisement, with written confirmation provided to the consumer when purchasing an item.

If you believe that you have been subject to misleading advertising online, your first port of call should be to contact the online retailer ie BT and lodge a complaint. Do not be fobbed off by the customer service rep.

https://www.bt.com/help/home/complaints.html

You can also email the BT CEO. You will find his email address with a simple Internet search.

If this does not resolve your complaint, then you should contact the Government's online consumer advice centres for the part of the country you are in.

https://www.gov.uk/consumer-protection-rights

https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office

You can/should also make a complaint to the ASA, who may investigate or refer your complaint.

https://www.asa.org.uk/

Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 6

Hi Everyone,

I have some good news!  If you signed up to BT Sport under the free for an 18-month special offer, then this will remain free for the duration of the contract 😀

Neil’s initial post was correct and I am so sorry that we posted a second time giving the incorrect information surrounding this offer.  We have now received concrete info that customers currently on this special offer will not have to pay the increase in price for the remainder of their 18-month contract.

In the interest of clearing up any confusion we have caused, I am going to remove Neil’s last post which will leave the correct info for any other customers finding this thread.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You