Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John671
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Silver to Gold address

Hi

All the properties where I live have FTTP including where I presently live. I moving in 6-8 weeks to a building I've developed which is 25m away and in the same postcode as where I am now. All I want to do is move the services I have now with BT (FTTP) over but it won't let me. I've been told it's because the address is "Silver" with Openreach and that the services I presently have aren't available until a line (copper) is installed first and then it's made Gold by Openreach. Someone at BT did submitt on ODRI (?) request but it seems Openreach won't change the address to Gold until a copper line is put in. Seems a bit starnge as if I can ungrade once the line is in it's going to be taken disconnected anyway.

Have I got all this right. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Silver to Gold address

@John671 

Is this for a business?

0 Ratings
John671
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for reply.

It's domestic and address is registered with Royal Mail.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@John671 wrote:

Thanks for reply.

It's domestic and address is registered with Royal Mail.

As this is a new development, have you been liaising with Openreach during the construction, to ensure that and ducting has been installed?

https://www.openreach.com/network-services/providing-new-network

0 Ratings
John671
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for reply.

It's one property (a conversion) and I was told by Openreach that as it wasn't a development if you like but a single property that my provider would connect etc. I can see the fibre and copper line on the pole right by the property that's being developed. BT are happy to install the copper line and basic associated broadband which reflects what Openreach told me but not the fibre unless my address is Gold.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

In that case you would need to get the phone line installed first, as that would then create a routing on the Openreach database.  Once that is done, the address will be changed to a gold address, and you will be able to order broadband.

0 Ratings
John671
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thanks Keith

It's what I thought might be the case. It just seems crazy that I'm going to have to get a copper line and associated broadband put in and then have it taken out when I'm hopefuly able to ugrade when the address is made Gold.

One final thing if I can ask....will the address definitely be made Gold once the landline is put in?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@John671 wrote:

Thanks Keith

It's what I thought might be the case. It just seems crazy that I'm going to have to get a copper line and associated broadband put in and then have it taken out when I'm hopefuly able to ugrade when the address is made Gold.

One final thing if I can ask....will the address definitely be made Gold once the landline is put in?

Why would they remove the copper line, as that would be used to provide the phone service if there is already an existing copper network, and may be the only option for broadband.

You cannot assume you will be getting an FTTP connection, as there may not be enough capacity on the optical network.

Once the phone line is active, you should be able to see what broadband options are available at that address.

0 Ratings
John671
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks Keith

Your'e right I'm assuming they'll let me upgrade to FTTP once the address is Gold. When they upgraded where I live now to FTTP they took down the copper line so that's what I'm meaning. To a layperson what would seem to make sense is if they could say if FTTP would be available before installing the copper line as if it is it means putting it in was pointless and was only done to get the address made Gold.

My main thing is just to get the address made gold and if getting the copper line put in does that and is what I have to do that's fine but does feel slightly cumbersome. 

0 Ratings