cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Slammed by a BT Tester

Sorry for the rant, but BT have got me so hacked off.

We have BT landline, broadband & mobile. Out of the blue, on the 14th Feb, we were contacted by BT - someone wanted to take over our line. Very strange, but since we were contacted by email and text, we realised it wasn't a scam. We therefore replied 'NOT MOVING' to the text.

Next day, a SIM card and a HomeHub got sent to 'Ms CRA-Testing BT-Tester' at our address. I contacted BT support via the online chat. They assured me it was either a scam, or a mistake, and that nothing would happen.

Sure enough, at 3.30am on 28th February, our broadband and landline went dead. After about 4 hours on the online chat and phone line, we've had to be set up with a whole new account, a new landline number and 4 new SIM cards (all for new numbers!), one of which one has failed to turn up. We've been forced to wait while BT checked that 'Ms CRA-Testing BT-Tester' was happy to give up the line (they wrote to her at our address).

On the 10th March Ms CRA-Testing BT-Tester's landline went dead and our broadband eventually came up. As of today (13th March) our landline is still dead, and I'm willing to bet that when (if?) it does come back up, I'm going to have to fight like hell to get our old number back.

So far, BT have given us absolutely no explanation as to how an engineer slammed us and why they were unable to rectify their mistake with any sense of urgency.

Has anyone else ever heard of a BT Tester taking over their line in such a fashion?  

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Slammed by a BT Tester

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 10

How do you know the person who slammed your line was an Engineer by Profession?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

I'd done some Googling & came across "Call Routing Apparatus" as being the meaning of "CRA", so assumed some hardware testing within the exchange. I've now stumbled across various possibilities:

• Call Record Assembler
  • Call Request Activate
  • Call-Request Activation
  • Circuit Reservation Acknowledgement message
  • Customised Recorded Announcement

all of which suggest some form of engineering, even if not carried out by a professional Engineer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Hi @randsa66,

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened. I don't believe an engineer for Openreach has done it. However, it does sound like a potential trial line that we may have been involved with. We need to work out what happened to your line. I've sent you a private message with some info that I need from you.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

I hope BT will come back to this thread and explain how this could possibly have happened.

Sounds like an appalling case of poor management and assumptions by those "taking over the line" and completely disregarding the end customer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

If I ever get an explanation, I will post it here for future reference.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

SIM cards cancelled. Still waiting for landline to be resurrected

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Openreach engineer resurrected our landline today. Said the cabinet down the road looks a mess. Suspects BT are upgrading it & were attempting to move us onto as ASDL line temporarily and somehow stuffed it up royally. Still no official word from BT explaining what happened, nor about the complaint raised on 11 March. Broadband is currently ASDL. Seems we've lost our FTC connection. Next priority is to try and get our old landline number back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Sadly, this is still ongoing. I've not heard anything from BT to explain how it all came about. A moderator suggested in a private message that I log into MyBT and check if the complaint is still open.

I can't find anything on MyBT where I can see if a complaint is open or not. I suspect that my complaint has got dumped when one of the Orders associated with this saga was completed.

Does anyone have the url for a page where you can track your complaint?

0 Ratings