cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robsonmark
Message 1 of 12

Someone wants to take over your line

I've had an email and a text this morning from BT informing me that someone wants to take over my line. As I find this quite worrying because I don't want anyone to take over my line I phoned customer services to stop it from happening and find out how it came about?

The individual I spoke to has informed technical that this is not going ahead however he could not give me an answer as to how it happened in the first place? Could someone enlighten me please? All I got was "are you moving home?", no I'm not,  "the customer asked for the change" when I explained to him that I am the customer / bill payer / only person who deals with our BT account, I'm not moving home and I  haven't asked for the change, especially as I have just taken out another 12 month contract, all he could was repeat himself which has left me very frustrated!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Someone wants to take over your line

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

It can happen if a wrong address or phone number is entered by another provider this creates the line change over
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@robsonmark

Like john has said this most likely happened due to another customer giving their provider incorrect address details that resulted in a take over order being placed against you line.  Do you have any new neighbours?

BT are obligated to accept the order but we will always contact the current customer to let them know that this has happened to give you an opportunity to cancel the order if its not correct.  We don't have access to who placed the order or why and I'm sorry you were left frustrated when you asked for an explanation.  

Did the adviser you spoke with arrange for the order to be cancelled?

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
robsonmark
Message 5 of 12

Yes he did

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@robsonmark Ah good, that will ensure everything stays as it is.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Fr0st1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

This has just happened to me also, I would dearly like to know which company is trying this on, it does seem to be happening quite a lot. If I missed the email or it was spammed would my service terminate at the given date and would someone else send me a bill for a new service ??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

Have you contacted whoever sent you the email/letter to say you are not leaving? If not you could find you may loose your service.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Fr0st1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Yes I contacted BT who sent the email and cancelled the order, even though I haven't made one ??

Thanks for the reply, it just seems wrong that this can be done without my knowledge.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

most time it is an error entering an order or another customer giving a wrong address to the provider
0 Ratings