cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Speed drop

I have been a customer of bt for years and had problems to start with getting a decent speed.

I have had about 26-28 Mbps for the last year or so but in the last couple of days it has dropped to 15-18Mbps. My minimum guaranteed is 15Mbps.

This is costing me £43 a month. No extras. Digital voice.

Their new deals ( not offered to me of course) is £38 a month for 35-40Mbps.

Any thoughts on why my speed has dropped now? And why I am paying so much more for such a reduced speed?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Speed drop

If it is not anything in the house then could be contention/congestion. Could be a line fault causing some degradation somewhere.

Unfortunately if its not breached the speed guarantee there not alot you can do.

On a side note, yes the pricing is odd, Fibre prices are pretty much the same as older copper services, my parents pay for around 15Mbps more than I pay for 900 with the same ISP (BT) even with my March increases. I often just wonder if that maintaining the equipment that serves the different infrastructure cost the same anyway, looking after the older copper equipment might be more of a headache then the ease of fibre. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 3 of 9

Yes it does seem odd. Also odd is the fact that the speed drop came the day after major drilling in a neighbouring flat.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Probably a coincidence, you'd expect a total lose of service if a drill went through something!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

FTTC is supplied over 2 wires and if 1 gets damaged then it'll still work but at approx half speed.

Message 6 of 9

Very interesting. Is there a way to check this without bashing ahole in the wall?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@somniac 

If you didn't have Digital voice you'd know as you'd have no phone service.

Plugging a phone into the phone socket MIGHT give you a clue as if you hear no sound whatsoever that might indicate a broken wire but I couldn't be sure about that.

I have DV but with full fibre and if I plug a corded phone into my old phone line then I do get a continuos sound indicating I'm getting power coming in so both wires OK.

A corded phone is best as it's powered by the 2 wires , so 1 breaks - no power.

Message 8 of 9

Thanks for that. I will try it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I tried this and got the continuous tone so the wires must be OK. Thanks for that.
0 Ratings