cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcarpenter1966
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Starting to Regret setting up a DD with BT

This is a new BT account after switching from Virgin.
I went with BT because i decided virgin was too expensive, and well its BT, reliable name, buy british etc...

Genuinely regretting it now, ive not even paid my first bill yet. 
I tried speaking to someone via the "contact us" an spoke to 2 online assistants, who where not really of any use, so i made a phone call instead, again it was not much help.

If i Agree a Date for a Direct Debit, surely the direct debit should be taken on this date? every other DD i have set up, this is how it works, on the date nominated... not earlier... If a DD is taken an there is no funds in my account, obviously it will be a failed payment an i will incur charges. All i want to do is avoid this, feel like ive been banging my head on a wall.

Also is there a number on which i contact BT staff who have english as thier first language? this would make things a lot simpler.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Starting to Regret setting up a DD with BT

Unless you are on a monthly payment plan, you cannot specify a direct debit date, as its based on the billing date.

Are you on a monthly payment plan, or monthly whole bill direct debit?

monthly payment plan is the same as the budget plans that the utilities use.

0 Ratings
pcarpenter1966
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

im not quite with this mate. how/what/when/where is the difference. 

Nothing like this has been explained to me. 

I recently set up BT BB/phone to my house.

as part of this BT staff asked for a Direct Debit date, which i gave.

I checked my first bill online earlier today, an the date is different, earlier infact, which means there will be no money in my bank, which means a failed direct debit, which mean me out of pocket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

See link for difference in Whole Bill or Monthly Payment Plan

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9855/related/1

0 Ratings
pcarpenter1966
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

So if i understand this correctly...

I am on a whole monthly bill, because of this the date of payment cant be set, and is likely to change, basically to whenever BT wants to bill me? 

(Not at all how the BT staff on the phone put it accross to me.)

Ridiculous mode of buissness that, never mind customer relations..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Your direct debit date would be fixed by your billing date and cannot be changed, unless you opt for a monthly payment plan.

0 Ratings
pcarpenter1966
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

I hear what ya saying mate..

But if this is right, that would mean that the BT staff have not only tottaly disregarded what i have said about when i get paid etc, it would mean that they have sold this to me without explaining it clearly an properly, surely thats wrong, certainely immoral.

Why even ask what date for a DD if it has no corralation to the date that i am going to be billed. 

can i speak to call centres in this country? is there a number? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

There are no UK numbers
0 Ratings
pcarpenter1966
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

back to banging my head on a brick wall then.

thanks for ya time, but it does not help my situation. 
All though, I have taken more away from this conversation than any of the previous ones with BT staff.

0 Ratings
pcarpenter1966
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Been billed at seemingly random times for random amounts, and now been disconnected

So i have a letter from bt which states

"your bank has refused your direct debit of £23.57 for the second time"

Firstly bt incorrectly tried to take in excess of £150 (cant check without looking at screenshots) on the agreed date. My bank did refuse this as there was less than £50 in bank to cover dd's.
The following week, without speaking to me, bt ammended the bill an proceeded to attempt to take the normal bill. By now there was not ennough in bank to cover dd as it was unexpected and i had presumed it paid the previous week as per norm.

I recieved a letter on 3 july, and promptly contacted bt. I was told that there had been a mistake an that it was agreed that i would just pay my bill as normal via dd on the normal date an this bill would include the previous months correct bill as well as the current bill.

Simple enough?

Well..

About 18hrs a go a received a notification from bt that my bill was ready to view an would be took from my account on the 17th.
I viewed it and noticed i had been billed £10 for a failed payment #cheek
Present time. I have just got up for work an found i have been disconnected for failing to pay my bill.

So...

How do i deal with this, an how many complaints do i need to raise.
0 Ratings