cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nuv
Message 1 of 9

Still being charged after the end of my contract

I had a 12 month contract for BT infinity 2 starting on the 17th of june 2015. A few weeks before the end of the contract I called BT to ask if there are any procedures to ensure that the service ends after the end date of the contract. They told me there is nothing to do. It will end by itself on the 17th of January 2016. So I just went on with my work and was relieved that i did not have to do anything. I kept on receiving emails about my bill after the contract. I thought that they must be mistakes from BT and ignored them. Now they just sent me a letter telling me I need to pay 499 pounds to a debt collector which includes bills for months AFTER my contract ended. I am really **bleep** since they were the ones to tell me that my contract is a 12 month one starting the 17th of june 2015 and now they are charging me for months which do fall within the contract period. I need this issue resolved since I am not paying anything for services which I did not get.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Still being charged after the end of my contract

Once your initial contract ends you move to a monthly rolling contract your actual phone line and broadband continue You have to cancel the contract your self from what you have posted you are liable for the amount BT are requesting
0 Ratings
Nuv
Message 3 of 9

Well as I mentioned, I phoned the customer care service and they told me the service ends once the contract ends. And what you are telling me has never been disclosed to me from BT themselves. From where I stand, lack of presenting additional information implies they are at fault and not me. I cannot just go look around for bits and pieces of information when I am paying them and not the jnverse.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

The same applies with all providers your service does not just end when your contract period ends they move to monthly contracts and any special offer prices end it is down to you to either renew your contract cancel it or move to another provider
0 Ratings
Nuv
Message 5 of 9

Well, one of the employees from BT told me that my service will end and i do not need to do anything. I even told her i was moving out that is why i need the service cancelled. Your reply does not even address this fact and tbh, is not helping my case in any way.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Unfortunately you were wrongly advised and you will be liable for the bill service does not end at the end of the contract period it never has done
0 Ratings
Nuv
Message 7 of 9

So I have to pay BT due to the mistake of one of their employees? Kindly explain how this works please.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@Nuv wrote:
So I have to pay BT due to the mistake of one of their employees? Kindly explain how this works please.

First read BTs Terms and conditions which you agreed to when you signed up.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

Specifically

"How long does a service last and when does it start?

Each service will last for a minimum amount of time (the minimum term), which is set out in your order confirmation. We switch on a service on the service start date shown in your order confirmation. We start charging you from this date too."

minimum term – any initial or later period you've agreed to pay for a service, as shown in your order confirmation.

When a service starts and how long it lasts

1. Each service starts on the date shown in your order confirmation.
  2. Each service will last for at least the minimum term and will carry on after then unless:
    • you end a service in a way set out in clauses 10a (ii), 10a (iii) 10a (iv), 10a (v), 10b, 10c; or
    • we end a service in line with clause 11.

These conditions are the same or similar, for all Service Providers.

Your phone and Infinity broadband would have continued to work after your initial 12 month contract, unless you had contacted BT to cancel the service, and paid the £31 broadband disconnection fee.

If you did not cancel, then you would still have been charged. If you subsequently did not pay the charges, then they would be passed to a debt collector and your credit rating would be affected.

You have no option but to pay these charges, as they will get even more as the debt collection agency will keep adding their charges, and will take action to recover the debt.

Next time you take a contract out with a Service Provider, read all of the Terms and conditions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

If you think you were wrongly advised, you would need to raise a complaint with BT.  It would help if you can remember on what day you phoned BT, so you can ask them to review that call.

If BT cannot resolve your complaint within 8 weeks (or earlier if BT sends you a deadlock letter), you can take your case to the communications ombudsman.

0 Ratings