Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ehaines
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Still waiting for an engineer and activation

Hi,

My broadband was supposed to be activated on the 6th April, with an engineer appointment booked.  No engineer showed up and obviously the line wasn't activated.  I phoned on the 7th April to chase this and try to get an engineer booked, only to be told I would be contacted in 24-48 hours.  48 hours later, still no phone call.  I phoned back on 9th April, only to be told the exact same thing that I would have a phone call within 24-28 hours... and nothing.  Phoned on 12th April to be told I will definitely have a phone call from Openreach first thing in the morning to get an engineer booked. Surprise, surprise, no phone call.  Instead I receive a text saying I will hear something on the 14th April.  I then received another text to say actually I will receive an update on the 16th April, not receive an engineer appointment, but just an update.  This is unacceptable, so I phone again on the 13th April only to be hung up on after waiting 20 minutes while the person I spoke to was contacting Openreach. This is very frustrating.

All I want is for an engineer appointment to be booked and for my broadband to be activated... is this too much to ask from BT!? It's so frustrating as I see Openreach vans every single day as I live in an estate that is being done up... can one of these not be directed to my house for a few minutes...!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Still waiting for an engineer and activation

are you getting FTTP - fibre to your home - or FTTC fibre to street cabinet and normal phone line to your home  which would use your telephone master socket

if FTTP do you have an ONT fitted 

ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

The majority of FTTC broadband installs are plug and play. The openreach /contractor will connect your line up to broadband at the local green cabinet, you just plug your homehub in and get surfing. No engineer home visit required. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

I'm in a similar situation.  Upgraded, nothing worked and lost my landline.  Sorted out the Hub, the wrong leads had been put in by the engineer, my read lead was still in the box.  Still left with no landline and can't raise anyone therefore to sort it.  Been on the "Help" site here and just keep going round in circles.  Engineer supposed to sort today and now I've got a new message saying I've got to book an appointment, I thought I already had.  Went thru the Mods on here but no fresh word about what's happening.  I don't live on the computer so some things will not be seen by me but when I do check and there's nothing it hacks me off.  I've got no landline and me and the missus are in our late 70s and we're not even able to contact our kids by landline should it be needed.  Unfortunately I'm contracted with BT until 2023 but will be in touch with OfCom once this is over and will be looking for compo.  BT is on bag of nails and OpenReach are no solution that's for sure.

0 Ratings
ehaines
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

I'm not sure, but I imagine FTTC, so should be nice and straight forward to get me up and running right? Wrong! BT keep contacting Openreach, asking for updates and they are doing their best to just ignore it.  They aren't even making my case active but just 'pending', despite BT saying I should be live over a week ago.  No one knows what the matter is and all I keep getting is 'update in 24-48 hours'... I have a feeling this will be going on for a long time!

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

I'm similar. Upgraded to Fibre Halo 3 Plus and since then my landline goosed. Originally even the Broadband didn't work, found out myself that the "Red Lead" had to be fitted, the engineer didn't do it. Luckily used to do fibre optics myself so was able to figure that bit out but with the phone I've checked everything and can't find the fault myself. Even getting hold of someone to sort it is a pain. I'm 78 so need a landline just in case, that's what I pay for. Before I got OpenReach to do the upgrade everything was alright, had to sort out my Sky Q Box extension myself. Lamentable.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 7 of 14

@ehaines I'm really sorry about the problems you've experienced getting your broadband connected, I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation and we'll be happy to chase this up and find out what's happening. 

You'll find the private message by clicking on the envelope on the top right of the community.

@S4Brains I'm sorry about the delay getting back to you. We received your private message yesterday evening and it's in our queue, one of the moderators will be in touch when you reach the top of our list as we respond to them in the order they're sent to us. 

Thanks

Neil

S4Brains
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Got an actual engineer coming on Monday, well up to now anyway. Will you a shout if it gets sorted then.
0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Filled in the online forms again.  "Preferred" line of communication, ticked "Email", still getting everything via my mobile phone which I have for emergencies only when I'm out of the house.  Don't want to be a mobile phone addict.  Where are they sending my comms to, yep, mobile phone.  Losing the will............

0 Ratings
ehaines
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Hi Neil,

Never received a private message?

0 Ratings