Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coreservers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Stunning incompetence

Go to solution

a bit of a long and sorry tale. Featuring the grossly incompetent indian call centre.

just over 2 years ago my wife and I split. She was abusive and violent. WE did however both contact BT's call centre to change the account into my name, and duly everythign on teh BT portal changed. As far as i could see all was well.

Last week i contacted BT and got a very helpful UK based person. As i have now moved address with my new partner whom im very happy with. It rtanspired that the grossly poor call centre changed everything except one part of the account (the main part) into my name leaving my ex wife as the acount holder. i had no idea as recieve no bills, and the direct debit comes from my bank account (in my sole name).

However i agreed to sty with BT and we agreed the original account would b e closed adn a ne acount set up at our new address, in my name, and i could add my new partner as an acount manager once live on 18/12/2018, as i had no wish to contact ex wife due to her violent nature. i was also told to stop the direct debit immediately as the latest payment was up to date, which i duly did.

Well imagine my surprise tonight at 11pm, i get an email sent to my address, entitled Dear Mrs M****** , my ex wifes name. sayiing that i should not hav cancelled the direct debit, and on loggign in, the old acount is still live.

I have had a mail saying my new router is on teh way to th3 new address....

Does BT have any idea how mentally scarring beign forced to deal with a violent partner is?

and why oh why cant BT get anythign right?

How do i get this sorted once and for all, and i want my new accunt live as promised on the 18th!

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Stunning incompetence

Go to solution

Hi @coreservers,

I am sorry to hear about the experience that you've had. I can understand why you aren't happy.

There are a few things that I need to explain that should have been explained to you originally. We cannot change an account into another person's name, with only one exception. We should have placed a new order for you to take over services at that address. That would have closed the old account and you would have received a new account number unique to you. I sincerely apologise that this wasn’t done.

On your old account your email address is most likely the main email on the account. That means that any email correspondence will go to you addressed as the account holders’ name. That's most likely why you received that email in her name after we applied for a direct debit. I really am sorry that we didn't explain this originally.

I must also make you aware that the old account is not your legal responsibility as it’s not in your name.

I think it would be best that we spoke with you to make sure that everything was going ahead as planned for your new address and to help clear up anything else. I'll need a few contact details from you before we can do that. I've made our contact link available to you in my profile. Click on my picture, view my profile and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser.

On a personal note, I've had close friends in a similar position to you @coreservers. Domestic violence is a living nightmare. It's heart-warming to hear that you've since been able to find someone that you can truly be happy with. I'll make sure that either I, or one of my team, do everything possible to help you so that you can leave this all behind and move forward.

Thanks

DanielS

coreservers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks. i have contacted you.

when i spoke to BT on monday they agreed to set up the new account in my name at the new address, as we only get 3mb copper with talk talk... a new family have moved into the old address and they have their own broadband coming on Wednesday.

the woman i spoke to assured me everything was in place. but im panicking now im going to leave the new step kids without internet over xmas. 

0 Ratings
coreservers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Hi again. 

Been away for a few days without internet access, lookingafter poorly relative.

had the new smart hub, and the email to say work going ahead today. BUT the old account is still active, cant see the new account as my email address still links to old account, a new direct debit has appeared in my bank account tho 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for taking the time to speak with @RobbieMac this morning.

Take care and have a great day Smiley Happy

All the best,

DanielS

0 Ratings
coreservers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Just when you think BT cant get worse....... Ive been billed on both accounts. Despite promises it would be discontinued.

Depsite the line beign cancelled on 19/12/2018... How much does it take for BT to actualyl get things right?

Time to go to ombudsman i think .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @coreservers

Sorry you have had two bills, my colleague @RobbieMac had been previously dealing on this.

He is back in the office tomorrow morning I have sent him an email to get him to look at this again for you.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

@coreserverswrote:

Just when you think BT cant get worse....... Ive been billed on both accounts. Despite promises it would be discontinued.

Depsite the line beign cancelled on 19/12/2018... How much does it take for BT to actualyl get things right?

Time to go to ombudsman i think .

Is the 2nd bill not your final bill from the original account ? when the service ends a final bill is generated 7 days after the service ends, it might be delayed slightly due to the festive period.
It should be clearly marked at the top that this is a final bill, once the last payment is taken the direct debit for that account is also cancelled automatically.

0 Ratings
coreservers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

nope it just says i should set up a direct debit. i was given to understand id paid this account up to date mid december and was advised to stop the direct debit.

Seriously losing teh will to live.

0 Ratings
coreservers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

ive now paid that bill... for £86 but no where on it did it say finl bill! ... if another is generated then its further legal action, as bt are billing me

1:- for a number no longer connected

2:- for a number they advised i close. and the new account is set up and runnnig fine

0 Ratings