Looking for some advice with what to do in my current situation. I was previously on a Halo 2 FTTC connection (80Mbps Down / 20 Mbps Up) before I got a text saying that someone was taking over my line. Called up BT, and they didnt action the request to cancel the take over request, so that has left me without broadband for 2 weeks and I was put onto ADSL on the 3rd August. What was really weird was that leading up to the 3rd August, I still had a FTTC connection when my account was deactivated due to the take over request.
Now BT are saying that the cabinet has reached capacity and that I cannot order it when I have had fibre in my property for the 2+ years that I have been here, and my neighbours are connected aswell. It's even the fact that it was working up until the 3rd August with the full speeds that I was on. Im really upset, frustrated and stressed out and this isn't really helping my mental health, is there anything that can be done or do I have to check the website every day to be able to place an order?
A complaint was made and thats been actioned, but i'm still without the services that I should have, so some help/advice would be really helpful
Hi Hayden, welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm so sorry your line and broadband were taken over in error as I appreciate all the hassle this has since caused.
Each cabinet has a specific number of ports that each line connects to and once these are all taken no further orders can be accepted, when your service was cancelled it's very likely that someone else has been allocated the port you were previously connected to.
Unfortunately, if there is no spare FTTC capacity in the cabinet there is nothing we can do to get this service enabled until someone else cancels their service and a port becomes free or if Openreach upgrades the cabinet which may not happen.
If you enter your telephone number into this availability checker what results do you get? The body of text below the results will explain if there is a capacity issue in the cabinet.
It’s incredibly frustrating and it’s also frustrating that my request to cancel the takeover request wasn’t actioned. Just checked, and it said waiting listed next to the FTTC connections. I do know that my details have also been sent to the offline team so I’m hoping this gets rectified
If the ‘fibre’ connection continued after the takeover date ( the date the other unwanted company became your provider ) how did you know the changeover took place , did you receive another router to your address but in another name ? or did the line continue to work with your ‘BT’ router connected ?
Did you ever check the phone number on the line ?, did it change to some other number ( the number on the ‘uncanceled’ order ) before changing back to your ‘BT’ number , assuming you currently have the correct number on the line, and the dodgy order was at some point cancelled.
Is there something unusual about your address that could confuse someone , unless it was malicious, presumably someone attempted to takeover a line with a similar address to yours but gave your address info instead of the correct address info, causing this mess in the first place.
The timing of events seems unfortunate , presumably the person who gave your address in error, either only wanted regular broadband , or if they wanted FTTC , they got a port, when that dodgy order was eventually cancelled somehow the port they got isn’t ‘spare’ for you , but taken by another ‘new’ customer, as was your original port.
Essentially what it was was I got a final bill email come through two weeks later and I definitely wasn't going to pay that as I cancelled the take over request as it wasn't me who made it. They said to call up 24 hours after to place a new order which I did, and then when I eventually did, it auto ceased because of no space in the DSLAM. I called up again and they processed a new order for me, so I turned the router off before hand as I thought I wouldn't get a connection until my new date which was the 3rd.
Probably on the wednesday before the 3rd, I turned the router on and it was syncing blue, full speeds which were what i was on before, so i tested the line and it gave a different landline number. Called BT up to double check if it should be working (baring in mind i was advised to order a copper connection again first after the auto cease) and they were as confused as I was and they said that I shouldnt have a line coming into the flat, however the landline number matched up the number that I had as part of the new order after the orginal account was closed down.
Was advised to wait until the 3rd which for it to switch over to the copper connection which I did, and was also adivsed that it would auto switch to the fibre connection on the 4th, which again it never did. Called up on the 6th just to see what was going on, however was told that something had gone wrong etc so I rasied a second complaint. Missed the phone call on the 7th and was supposed to get a phone call yesterday, however I didnt so i called up today saying that I just have to wait until a slot becomes available which in all honesty I'm super bummed about with everything that has gone on.
I got the home hub 4 sent out for the copper connection, but now im stuck in limbo not knowing when I'm going to get a fibre connection again, which is really frustrating and upsetting for me as I need a good speed for work as I'm doing on boarding over zoom at the moment.