Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomasglazebrook
Contributor
Message 1 of 35

Switch from FTTC to FTTP Nightmare

Go to solution

Wonder how many have been caught up in similar situation? FTTC or other Broadband landline being cut off prior to FTTP being ready? Let me know your experience and advice.

I was on an EE FTTC Broadband (~45Mb down) which was more than adequate but for £2 extra a month and a jump up to 100Mb? Yes please. The internet is crucial for us (much like most these days), enabling two people to work from home on regular video conferencing as well as game and stream films etc. But the work being the major concern.

Placed an order late December 2020, confirmed transition date to the FTTP on 27th January 2021, but a landline transition date of 13th January? It became apparent Openreach were facing challenges in the external work (spoke to them on their visits) so fully anticipated and accepted the 27th January date for final install may not stick. In the meantime another lockdown was put in place and Openreach made some policy changes to protect their staff so fully thought this may also impact things too. I naively thought no way I'd be left without Broadband and these two companies could figure it out.

Cut to 13th January, wake up to no broadband and a text from EE stating they were sorry to see me go and my broadband had stopped. Plug in the BT Smart Hub and this did not connect. It was upon checking my order status that indeed my landline had moved but my FTTP installation date had been pushed out to JULY 5TH!? I contact EE in panic and they state very matter of fact "This is your responsibility, you asked to transfer", I politely reminded her that I asked to transfer but forgive me for thinking I did not need to co-ordinate between two companies on when that transfer can be done with minimal or no disruption! I then call BT and the agent did apologise, accepting that it seemed BT had just continued on with their original schedule, did not alter plans as my new connection was not ready or properly co-ordinate with EE... Forgetting the fact had their original schedule remained in place they still planned on leaving me without Broadband for roughly a week!?

I am offered the basic copper broadband for free which should go live on 21st January, accepted this was all that could be done even though there was a big reason we paid for 45Mb in the first place; I have been tethering on my unlimited 4G data plan since then. Only after a tweet @'ing BT, EE & Openreach over the mess, BT raised a complaint for me, offered me an FTTC connection to be put in sometime after 21st January at £20 p/month to get us back to an equivalent product until the Full Fibre is ready. I openly explained to the FTTP Team that had I woken up on 13th January to fully working broadband and just a big Full Fibre install date pushback, I likely would not have called until later on to enquire and just accepted the situation. She explained, according to the notes, it is not a COVID issue at all and it is indeed the CBT that is currently an issue.

I refuse to believe that I am not the only one who has been left broadband-less due to poor co-ordination of when services can transfer?

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Gary_C
Expert
Message 2 of 35

Re: Switch from FTTC to FTTP Nightmare

Go to solution

Ask BT for a 4G mini hub to get you going again in the meantime

thomasglazebrook
Contributor
Message 3 of 35

Go to solution
I self funded my own MiFi device & a cheap second EE line that I can gift 100GB to from my unlimited data plan to as a stop gap measure. I made clear to BT I don't expect a freebie without reason, I just need a connection suitable for our needs, akin to what we had minimum and if I need to pay for that then fine. Getting FTTP installed is last of my concerns right now.

The FTTP install date has now been moved forward to 25th March. I suspect with that, they will change their offer of a FTTC connection as by the time they'll be able to get it in, we may only be using it for about two or three weeks before full fibre is meant to be installed.

In discussions with BT, a mini hub was deemed "not suitable". My next worry is breaching EE's fair usage policy.
0 Ratings
Gary_C
Expert
Message 4 of 35

Go to solution
deemed not suitable ?
thats odd.
If you have a good 4g signal in the property, I would escalate it as it would be fair. I suspect the person doesn't have a drop down box to click that matches your situation.

Is any BT connected person on here that can help get the OP at BT mini hub in the interim ?
thomasglazebrook
Contributor
Message 5 of 35

Go to solution
I can only suspect they deemed it "unsuitable" maybe because at that time, if the July 5th date rang true (which even she admitted the July 5th was a date thrown out by the system to the order is not cancelled and was likely to change), then that length of time on a mini hub maybe pretty costly solution to BT? End of the day, not my problem but maybe what was thought?
0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 35

Go to solution

@Gary_C 

One of the distinguished members would need to request the assistance of a Moderator.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
thomasglazebrook
Contributor
Message 7 of 35

Go to solution
Anything would be so appreciated! The copper broadband looks like it will provide around 2Mb which, yes better than nothing, is unlikely to serve us well and is a far cry from the baseline service we were coming from and would happily continue to pay to get it back.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 35

Go to solution

@CJT80wrote:

@Gary_C 

One of the distinguished members would need to request the assistance of a Moderator.

It's CL's who can request mod assistance not distinguished members.

0 Ratings
Gary_C
Expert
Message 9 of 35

Go to solution
Pippin, could you ask one then ?
As a 'Sage' you probably would be better placed maybe ?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 35

Go to solution

@thomasglazebrook 

The moderators cannot help with FTTP orders, you have to deal with the FTTP team.

0 Ratings