Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vickwold159
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Switching Dates Confusion

Go to solution

Hope you can help as I’m a bit confused about switching dates.

On Friday (17th November 2017) I phoned BT regarding the January price increase, after a lot of discussion retentions were unable to offer me a deal anywhere near the plusnet unlimited fibre deal, the best they were willing to offer was £32.99!  so I cancelled my package – making sure the reason is due to the price increase so I would not incur any early termination fees (hopefully this will work and I won’t be confronted with a huge final bill).

Immediately after the phone call I placed my order with plusnet , the next day I had an email from BT stating my broadband & phone services will stop on 1st December and moved to plusnet, however the next day I get an email off Plusnet stating my broadband service is due to become active on 6th December.  Could you let me know what happens between 1st – 6th December? Will I be left without any service for 5 days? Or is the date BT has given flexible?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Switching Dates Confusion

Go to solution

You will  be left without service as Plusnet have their own equipment in the exchange which needs to be physically wired in, so its not a seamless changeover, which would happen if the new ISP used the BT Wholesale network.

This is going to involve someone visiting the exchange to do the work.

In effect it will be a cease and reprovide which takes a few days.

0 Ratings
vickwold159
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

thanks for your answer

I got a bit worried after reading that I would be without service for 5 days so I've just been on online chat with BT.  They stated  'dont worry your services wont get disconnected till it wont get connected with the other provider'

It all seams to be a little clear as mud to me at the moment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

@vickwold159 wrote:

thanks for your answer

I got a bit worried after reading that I would be without service for 5 days so I've just been on online chat with BT.  They stated  'dont worry your services wont get disconnected till it wont get connected with the other provider'

It all seams to be a little clear as mud to me at the moment.

That`s  physically impossible. I think the helpdesk are assuming that you are simply moving to another ISP that used the BT Wholesale equipment, where it would simply be a software switch.

Your service will cease on 1st December, the day you were given, I expect it will simply be a software cease.

Someone will have been given the task to re-jumper your line so it routes through the Plusnet equipment in time for Plusnet to activate the service on 6th December.

You are lucky its only a few days, it can take up to 10 days in many cases.

If you need access during the downtime, I suggest you use mobile broadband.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

You will  be left without service as Plusnet have their own equipment in the exchange which needs to be physically wired in, so its not a seamless changeover, which would happen if the new ISP used the BT Wholesale network. 

What? PN don't have their own kit at exchange. They use the BTw network just like most other ISPs bar Sky & TT.

Therefore this should be a seamless changeover.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

They had it in a couple of local exchanges, I remember testing the fibre links into it.

Its possible that is still the case in a handful of exchanges where BT Wholesale cannot offer ADSL2+, only ADSL MAX.

In the large exchanges  which have 21cn MSANS installed, it would make sense for them to use the BT Wholesale network.

I can remember posts on this forum where people had moved from Plusnet ADSL2+, to BT, and could only get ADSL MAX.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Is OP's exchange 1 of these "couple of local exchanges"?

@vickwold159: What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

vickwold159
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you both for your help. I contacted plusnet this afternoon and they said due to lack of engineers they were unable to have the connection date of 1st December, they seemed to agree that I would be without service for a few days so it looks like Keith is correct?

My exchange details are   https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMPLUMT

I’m going to give BT one last try tomorrow to see if they can offer me a deal, I’ve been happy with BT so didn’t want to leave them but they didn’t seem to bothered about keeping me as a customer.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Plusnet is not shown as LLU there. They are on BTw's network.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@vickwold159 wrote:

Thank you both for your help. I contacted plusnet this afternoon and they said due to lack of engineers they were unable to have the connection date of 1st December, they seemed to agree that I would be without service for a few days so it looks like Keith is correct?

So work needs to be done in the exchange. They are not true LLU operators as they still use the BT PSTN network, but not BTs broadband equipment, which is why they need someone at the exchange (Openreach) to insert their equipment.

I think they were called "partly unbundled", or something similar, and used to be quite popular.

The way it works is shown on this diagram.

There are interconnections to be made on the exchange distribution frame via the SP (Service Provider`s) broadband equipment. This will be done by Openreach Frame Technicians.

This differers from a fully unbundled line, where the connection to the BT phone equipment is not used, and dial-tone is provided from the SP own equipment. This can present problems if you want to keep your phone number if you move to BT, as your number may not exist on the BT exchange  Smiley Sad

This can affect people who move from fully unbundled providers like Sky and Talk Talk.

I hope my explanation make it clearer, as I used to work on this stuff.