Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: Switching Dates Confusion

Go to solution

It's called Partial LLU (Shared Metallic Path Facility or SMPF). Funny that Sam doesn't Know anything about this for PN when Sam has always shown LLU, whether Full or Partial. For example, AOL, O2, BeUnlimited & EE/Orange were often Partial LLU & SamKnew all about them.

You've extrapolated this from a coupla exchanges you once knew of to the OP's exchange when there are over 5.5K exchanges, so the chance of a hit is minimal.

Also the OP's exchange is 21CN WBC (ADSL2+), so there is no reason for PN to Partial LLU there. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Also the OP's exchange is 21CN WBC (ADSL2+), so there is no reason for PN to Partial LLU there. 

Probably historical installation prior to 21CN. Once the equipment is installed, its still cheaper for Plusnet to use that, than to move everything to BTW network. It also gives them full control over what services they can offer over broadband.

There was a big rush by ISPs to do this when partial or full LLU was allowed. Every bit of space in the exchanges was utilised, and there were third party contractors everywhere. I was there when it all happened.

0 Ratings
vickwold159
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks again for your help and explanation.

My phone call this morning unfortunately resulted in no luck, so looks like it’s plusnet.

Seeing as an engineer is needed at the exchange for the switch, is it correct that I have a cease and reprovide? I keep reading conflicting advice, that it causes problems with open reach engineers not being able to re install the line, how do I know there is a cease order on my account? The email from bt states ‘another provider has told us you wish to move your phone line and broadband on 1st December so your services with us are due to stop on that date’, no mention of a cease. I’m moving from adsl to fibre, not sure if that makes a difference.

Sorry if I’m sounding a bit mentally challenged, I just want to make sure I don’t run into any problems

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

You did not mention that you were moving from ADSL to fibre !!

That is a totally different situation, as all the work is done in the street cabinet and fibre cabinet, by Openreach.

BT Retail will disconnect your broadband equipment on 1st Dec.

Openreach will then visit the cabinet on 6th December, and route your line through the fibre cabinet, ready to be activated by Plusnet.

So as you see, physical work has to be done at the street cabinet.

The only problems that can occur, is if the fibre port in the cabinet is faulty, or for some reason the cabinet is full, and there are no free ports, but I hope that Plusnet would have been aware of that, before they accepted your order.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

@vickwold159 wrote:

I’m moving from adsl to fibre, not sure if that makes a difference.

Oh, but it does. That's a horse of a different colour! Your BB connection is being moved from ADSL kit in the exchange to fibre kit in your local cab. There is no way that can be a seamless changeover & you are bound to suffered some days downtime.

Everything we discussed earlier about whether PN had its own kit in exchange (& disagreed on) doesn't come into it & can now be safely ignored.

vickwold159
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

I realise that now, sorry for leaving out that vital piece of information! Lol

On the positive side I have learnt a lot from this discussion, so it’s not a complete waste of time. Smiley Happy

once more thanks again and hopefully you will hear no more from me. Lol

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance. You're always welcome to come back.

Hope it sorts itself out soon.