cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pwoolgar
Message 1 of 5

Switching Nightmare

Hi all. On Monday, I made the decision to switch my Plusnet phone and broadband service to BT. What has happened since then has basically made me decide to call BT tomorrow morning to cancel the whole thing. I guess I'm just looking for some information from those more familiar with BT than I as to whether this kind of thing is just par for the course with BT.

Soooooo, on Monday I used a link to sign up to a 12 Month contract, Unlimited Fibre Broadband AND line rental for £29.99, weekend calls to UK landlines included and £34.99 set up costs. The deal also included an £80 pre-paid Mastercard via a claim link.

On Tuesday, I receive confirmation that Phone AND Broadband will be connected by midnight on

31/7/17. It confirmed that my current phone number would be switched and be ex-directory. The email also confirms all the charges that were set out in the deal I originally signed up for. So far, so good.

The following day, Wednesday, I receive another email notifying that switch for phone AND broadband will now take place on 1/8/17, not 31/7/17. Nothing too alarming there. These things happen.

Today, I receive a text stating that switch for phone will now take place on 3/8/17 and that

someone will contact me on the 4/8/17 to tell me when they will switch my broadband. So, now they can't tell me in advance when my broadband will be switched. For the first time, BT make reference to the switch of a completely different phone number, albeit one with the same area code as the one I now have. I'm apparently not now keeping the same phone number. The email also states that my new phone number will not be ex-directory (contrary to instructions)

I've received other emails tonight that make it clear that BT isn't honouring the deal for which I originally signed up. Some 'add ons' that I signed up for (and some that were bundled free of charge in the original deal) aren't included. They're also now saying for the first time that they're going to charge me £50 for 'taking over a phone line'. There's been no mention of this in any of the billing info previously provided. The email also makes reference to a £18.99 monthly line fee, again contrary to my order.

So in the course of three days, my phone switching date has been changed twice and they cannot tell me when my broadband will be switched. They've made it clear that they won't be honouring the deal for which I've signed up and that, contrary to what I was led to believe, I will be issued with a new phone number (that I do not want). I'm also not going to be ex-directory.

BT has changed so many aspects of my order (dates, prices, the original deal), I have no faith that my order will be carried out smoothly and according to the deal for which I signed up. I've phoned up a couple of times this evening and spoken to their customer services people who, while being as helpful as they could be, have simply been able to tell me a care manager will be in contact at some point after the switch to discuss the financial details. I've been given no assurance that BT will abide by the deal I signed up for. It sounds as though they just want to sign me up for a regular deal and then fob me off.

Is this kind of nonsense normal for BT? I'm not even a customer yet, and I'm already at the end of my tether. I genuinely want to know whether this is just par for the course and completely common. I mean, I actually wanted to give them my business and in the space of three days they've convinced me to reverse the whole process.

Any idea what I should do? Should I definitely just go ahead and cancel?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Zombie
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Switching Nightmare

No @pwoolgar I don't think that is the way bt do business,  I only know my own experience which was sign up, one email from bt confirming my order (switching from sky) for 2 weeks later. Same number & ex directory and on the day I was told my services was swapped. Totally hassle free. Hopefully in the morning there will be more people around with a lot more knowledge with swaps than me that can advise you where to go from here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

Welcome to the forum @pwoolgar. I've asked the moderators to have a look at your issues and they will post contact info here later this morning.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
pwoolgar
Message 4 of 5

Thank you all for your comments. I have to say, given how the last three days have been, I'm very, very wary now.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Hi Paul,

I am so sorry to hear about the problems with your order. It is supposed to be a seamless transfer, I'm sorry that it hasn't been. If you would like our help with this you can get in touch by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. That'll give you an option to fill in a web form which generates a trouble ticket. However; it may take us a few working days before we can get back to you. We will own your issue through until the end though.

In the meantime, you can get an update on your order by speaking with one of our Customer Options Team. You can reach them by calling 0800800030 and pressing option 1. You will then be asked to enter your telephone number. For this purpose, please enter the other number that we quoted you. If you don't know it, enter your original number. The person may ask for your order number.

As soon as we pick this up for you we'll do our best to honour anything that was promised to you.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings