Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Beginner
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

Switching from Sky to BT Problems. 1 Week with no internet and counting.

I hope someone on here can shed some light on my issue as phoning BT for updates has become increasingly frustrating and has yielded no results.

We switched from Sky Broadband to BT Broadband on the 2nd of January but unfortunately, our internet was not connected on this date. When I called BT on the 3rd I was told there was an "exception" on the line which would be clear in 48 hours, which means i would be connected then. 

I waited till Friday and chased only to be told the "exception" was still live on the line, but was being processed so would be clear by close of play that day. An engineer was booked to connect out broadband the following Monday (8th Jan)

After chasing this up again today I've been told the"exception" is still on the line and to call back on Friday 12th Jan for an update. This means that the best case scenario is the internet will be restored by Monday the 15th. BUT, I have little to no faith that this will be resolved as no one really seems to understand whats going on.

So far I have had to pay for two full days childcare as I was not able to work from home last Wednesday/Thursday and will be in the same predicament this week meaning this fiasco is going to leave me £300 out of pocket.

I have spoken to Sky and they assure me everything is clear on their end and the exception is nothing to do with themselves.

Can someone please as a matter of urgency look into this matter. 

Mark Paul

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Re: Switching from Sky to BT Problems. 1 Week with no internet and counting.

[ Edited ]

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

This is only a customer to customer help forum, I am just a customer.

Has your phone line been moved over from Sky to BT Retail yet, as that normally has to be done first?

There would normally be a break in service anyway, as Sky have their own equipment in the exchange, which has to be removed first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information for BT Residential Broadband connections only.

Beginner
0 Ratings

Hi Keith

Thanks for the quick reply and help.

Yes the phone line was switched over on the day as expected, its just the broadband that has not been activated/switched. I have switched providers a number of times over the years and have never had an issue.

My main concern is being told 3 times now it had been resolved when it hasnt. This implies to me that there is an issue with their system and I could be caught up in this for weeks.

As I work in the tech industry I do understand how things like this can happen, but also how something "simple" can resort in a long downtime with not such a simple fix.

I would also like to add that I have a 3 year old who is most disgruntled over his lack of Thomas and Tayo on Netflix. Im sure anyone with children now fully understands my plight.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

What did you order, normal broadband, or BT Infinity?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information for BT Residential Broadband connections only.

Beginner
0 Ratings

BT Infinity, moving from Sky Fibre.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

Mpaul wrote:

BT Infinity, moving from Sky Fibre.

Its possible that the cabinet is full, and there is a waiting list.

Put your number into this form. See if it says "available" or "waiting list" against the top (VDSL) line.

Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Beginner
0 Ratings

BB.jpg

It doesn't appear to be an issue with the cabinet.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

Thanks.

I cannot see the reason, unless the port that Sky was using, has not been ceased properly. When I mentioned about Sky`s own equipment, I was assuming that you had been on ADSL, as you originally posted on the ADSL board.

Normal changeover from one provider to another, takes a minimum of 10 working days.

Lets see if one of the moderators can help.

0 Ratings

Hi @Mpaul I'm sorry that your broadband service has not been activated as agreed. 

It looks like there is a system problem causing the delay with your order. If you send us over your details we will be happy to check into the delay further for you. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Beginner
0 Ratings

I did call Sky today to make sure everything is clear on their end ad they stated the line was swapped successfully on the 2nd.

Its this work "exception" on the line that I just can't get to the bottom of. What does that actually mean?

I must say after now looking into the forums more it seems I'm not the only one to have an issue like this and I should be expecting a month without Broadband. I hope I'm not correct.