Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sophie1995
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Takeover of existing broadband line.

Hello,

If possible, I'd like to place a request for takeover of an existing broadband line please?

My housemate has just moved out and its currently in her name, therefore I'd like to place it under my name and account.

Thank you,

Sophie.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Takeover of existing broadband line.

@Sophie1995 wrote:

Hello,

If possible, I'd like to place a request for takeover of an existing broadband line please?

My housemate has just moved out and its currently in her name, therefore I'd like to place it under my name and account.

Thank you,

Sophie.

That cannot be done, the existing account would have to be closed, and a new one ordered in your name, which would mean loss of service and possibly cancellation charges.

It would be easier just to transfer the money across when the bill is due.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

I have not done this so can not guarantee it will work however I don't see why not. All BT care about is getting the owed money:-

While you can not take over an existing account you may be able to change the payment bank details so that the bill comes out of your account rather than your friends.

It would require your friend to go into her MyBT and go to the section about how to pay the bill where she and you can change the Direct Debt details so that it comes out of your bank account.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 4

Hi @Sophie1995, thanks for posting. It's not possible to change the name on the account but if you placed an order for service as a new customer on bt.com you can get it provided in your name and normally takes 2 weeks to complete. If there is still a minimum term contract on the services you have at the moment there would be cancellation charges applied to the final bill for your flatmate.

0 Ratings