cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liamwalsh
Message 1 of 20

Taking BT to a small claims court for loss of earnings?

The level of grief I have had from BT beggars belief.  I can only assume that this level of incompetence and negligence has affected others.  

Three weeks ago I received an SMS and email from them saying they were sorry to lose me as a customer, when I had made no attempt to leave, nor was I moving home.

After calling them it seems that my upstairs neighbour (same door number, same postcode) was leaving.  I had called immediately upon receiving these messages and they assured me that this was an error and the cancellation would not be going ahead. 

A few days later the same thing happened, and I called again.  Again they apologised and assured me my services were not going to be cancelled.  I asked for a note to be put on my account, ensuring that only I, the bill payer and sole resident could cancel my service.  

Of course I was told that they would do so - and again an 'apology' for any inconvenience caused.

My inconvenience at this point was two hours on hold on the telephone.  They were just getting started inconveniencing me.

Yesterday my broadband did not work, after an hour and a half speaking to various people and techincal support they discovered that my broadband had after all, been cancelled.  A full three weeks after my first phone call telling them that I had not asked for this.

I was on hold for so long that the battery died on my phone.  When I called back, I was told that the person I had spoken to and indeed that whole department were now gone for the day.

Today I have had another hour of phone calls.  With different people telling me different things, one engineer told me that everything would be fine when I got home, and then a voicemail was left stating that no - it was cancelled and it would be at least five working days before I could be reconnected.

This, in itself is wholely unacceptable, but to be expected to take a day off work while I await an engineers visit (it took two attempts to get it installed in the first place as the first engineer didn't have the correct tools) is far beyond the pail.

I am a computer science contractor - to be slowly patronised and told that it is 'technically impossible' for this issue (that is entirely BT's fault) any faster just adds insult to injury.

I would like to be compensated for the five and half hours I've spent on the phone so far and if I have to take a day off work (unpaid) while I await an engineer I would like to know what legal recourse I can take.

As it is only tot up a couple of days of my time this should leave me under the limit for a small claims court.

I will not be happy with any £20 credit, wine or flowers.  This is costing myself and the people who employ me significant sums of money, through no fault of my own.

I can forgive actual techincal difficulties, but the fault here lies in BT's own customer services, processes and beaurocracy.

Has anyone successfully gained an acceptable level of recompense from BT through the small claims courts?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 20

Re: Taking BT to a small claims court for loss of earnings?

Best to take this to the Mods and get it sorted

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Hi liamwalsh,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I can look into this for you if you wish. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 20

Shouldnt have to wait in for an engineer. All they have to do is switch you back on at the exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
john2020
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

I have gone through the exact same issues as yourself.

Broadband and telephone is very important to me as i am self funding through college(broadband needed for revision).

Family member suffering with cancer treatment(telephone needed to keep in contact). Aswell as the normal use for broadband and internet.

So far this is what ive experienced since may 28th 2012....bt was installed on may 8th 2012.

I have called bt over 630 times regarding broadband faults. 389 of these calls have now been recorded.

113 hours of recorded calls. Many blatant lies being told...glad i recorded them.

36 hours of being put on hold....endless ringing...then getting cut off. Then having to call again to enquire about the fault. This relates to the 630 plus calls to bt.

Constant broadband disconnection. Slow speeds etc.

Engineer informed us feb 2013 that the bt exchange jumper leads were all broken. The broadband would never of been working properly due to the damage. He stated that no matter how many times the advisors would reset my homehubs, exchange filters, plug directly into the master socket etc etc, the broadband would never be stable.

18 replacement homehubs sent out. 7 being delivered in one day. I was then told they were done in error as the advisor must of pressed the enter button multiple times...(call recorded). I was then told i had to return them all. If i didnt i would be charged £80 per unit. I had to make a 32 mile round trip to return them to the post office. Wasting my time and fuel.

Homehub 4 being promised as a good will gesture. Order placed on monday by manager, delivery wednesday. No hub turns ups. I call bt....3 hrs on the phone with them. They tell me i aint having it. If i want it i have to pay £30 for it. 3 days earlier i was promised it fee of charge. Phone call recorded.

68 failed callbacks from managers. Most recent one yesterday monday 12th august 11am. Waited in from 10:30 til 1pm.

5 engineer visits. 

Disconnection of all upstairs phone sockets by openreach in error....still not reconnected.

Promises of compenstation on top of any broadband refunds.....promises not kept.

Threats of charges, bad credit and bailiff action if i decide to leave.

26 days off work....this was due to the failed callbacks. Some staff stating that i have to be at home to take the call as they have to share my imac screen.....no one called. Wasted my day at work.

Multiple disconnection of broadband and telephone for non payment of bill....event though we were on a payment plan.

Charges made on my bank account for incorrect bt direct debit set ups....my bank account is now £386.87 in debt due to unplanned overdraft fees my bank charges....bt accepted in a recorded phone call they were at fault for the incorrect direct debit. A call was promised from bt to sort this out about 6 weeks ago....im still waiting. When i call to enquire about it, no one seems to know what im talking about. Even though notes were promised to be added to the account in case i call to ask about it.

The list goes on and on.

I am now seeking legal action on this. I'll update you with any info i get. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

wow that is one sad story.

'm sure when a forum mods reads all about your problems they will contact you and offer assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

I’d have to agree there imjolly. John2020, drop me an email with your details. I’ll look into this for you. You’ll get the “contact us” form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Have you tried making a claim through BT's ADR - Ombudsman? I'd suggest you try this first before going to claims court, as judge will not act in favor of you if you choose to ignore the ADR and go directly to court, resulting , possibly, a significantly small amount of compensation being made to you.

If the ADR did not work out for you, then you should consider the court.

Having said that, I totally feel sorry for you, but a lot of us are on the same boat. mine was a problem with Openreach, basically they delayed my line activation since I signed up in May and still no service yet. All they said to me was "check back again in 3 weeks for an update".

0 Ratings
john2020
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Thanks for the comments. I have not tried the ADR yet. I'll look into that. I don't know where to start though.

Bt have offered me a backdated refund on my broadband £304.79. They say they are keeping £212.16 of it to pay off my balance. I'll receive only £92 of it. It doesn't seem fair to me. I could use that money to cover other bills.

I was without broadband and telephone for 5 full days around 3 weeks ago. During the 5 days I had a cross line. My home phone rang upto 100 times a day from strangers asking for random people who do not live at my property.
Bt offered me 60p for the loss of broadband and 60p for the loss of the landline. A staggering total of £1.20.

If I have recorded proof of Bt stating that I would receive compensation on top of the broadband refund, have I the right to claim it?

I informed Bt at the start of every call that I was recording the conversation. They agreed that it was ok to record.

No one from Bt seems to give me a clear answer to this. When I questioned an advisor about it, he stated that I will 100% get compensation on top of any refund I receive regarding the broadband. When I asked him to pass me over to his manager to confirm what he said to me, he hung up on me. I never heard back from him again.

I'm due to call Bt again today. I'll keep you all posted.

Surely they can't get away with treating customers like this.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

I would suggest you accept  mod DavidM offer of assistance as that will give you someone who will look into your problem and a stable point of contact.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings